What Fantasy RPG Matches These Preferences

Reynard

Legend
First of all: I own and have played many fantasy RPGs. This thread isn't really a recommend thread so much as it is a way to talk about games, expectations, preferences and favorites.

That said: I want a fantasy rpg that matches the following list of preferences. Which Fantasy RPH would YOU recommend for me?

1. Relatively grounded with at least a nod toward realism in most systems in play, from combat to resource management to survival.
2. It's dangerous and most of the time even fighting "weak" enemies caries real risk.
3. PC magic is powerful but unreliable and dangerous to use.
4. The game systems are just as worthwhile for non combat stuff as combat stuff.
5. Medieval feel.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Rolemaster. In particular, my preference is RMX (Rolemaster Express) which is a stripped down Rolemaster Classic that starts with a simple base and adds options/complexity back in via a series of PDF supplements.

Another option for you to consider may be Ars Magica. My preference here is 5e and can, with a little elbow grease, be used to run standard-ish fantasy rather than the mage-focused default play mode.

aco175

Legend
Quite a list, hope you find it.

1662421496035.png

pemerton

Legend
@Reynard

I would recommend Burning Wheel. I can see why RM has been recommended (Against the Dark Master is a variant; another is HARP). I've GMed a lot of Rolemaster (thousands of hours). But I think BW delivers everything RM does, while avoiding some of the system's pitfalls.

I would also recommend BW ahead of RuneQuest and its variants (like Mythras). The only benefit of RQ would be that it is a bit lighter. (I don't know if that's also true of Mythras.)

Remove ads