What Fantasy RPG Matches These Preferences

Reynard

Legend
Tell me about the current edition (4E?) of WFRP. I am only really familiar with 1E, other than I think 3E was proto Genysys? Also does it have Foundry support because I am thinking of giving Foundry a try.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I want a fantasy rpg that matches the following list of preferences. Which Fantasy RPG would YOU recommend for me?

1. Relatively grounded with at least a nod toward realism in most systems in play, from combat to resource management to survival.
2. It's dangerous and most of the time even fighting "weak" enemies caries real risk.
3. PC magic is powerful but unreliable and dangerous to use.
4. The game systems are just as worthwhile for non combat stuff as combat stuff.
5. Medieval feel.
Dungeon Crawl Classics.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Tell me about the current edition (4E?) of WFRP. I am only really familiar with 1E, other than I think 3E was proto Genysys? Also does it have Foundry support because I am thinking of giving Foundry a try.
Yes, Foundry has WFRP4E support. I wouldn't go with that system though. It's incredibly heavy. You get 90% of the same thing from WFRP2E, only less rules. Trouble is, of course, it's out of print and not fully officially supported on VTTs. There are lots of fan modules for Foundry and Roll20 and others.

aramis erak

Legend
3 is indeed proto-Genesys. But it uses 3-5 entries per ability card, unlike Genesys/SW... and more complex ones than L5R5. It's fun, but is different and expensive. Due to the card limits, it keeps complexity down a bit.

compared to 1E, 4E raises things 1 point at a time, has fewer careers, all of which have 4 levels, a rather more random magic system, and a somewhat different approach to combat roles. I've read it, but don't care for the changes. It's still the Empire, still Renaissance, and is overall closer to 1E than to 2E, 3E, or Zweihänder, tho' it has a magic system close to 2E.
Some like it; I don't.
Since I didn't care for it, I can't comment on foundry support.

Remove ads