• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What feats are ESSENTIAL

Alcamtar

Explorer
Okay, let me ask it a different way: Suppose a fighter took only Skill Focus for every feat. Would such a fighter be crippled in a high level game as far as combat goes?

Or how about Toughness, since at least that provides some combat benefit to the fighter. Taking toughness 19 times would give a 20th level fighter an extra 57 hit points.

My real question is: are feats really that powerful, and how much do they affect game balance? The most bonus you can get from a feat is +2, because you can't stack them, so a fighter with no feats would only be two levels behind a fighter with feats, as far as numbers go. Also feats are mostly applicable only in a specific circumstance, so while the feated-fighter has an edge in that particular circumstance, the rest of the time he has no edge over the non-feated-fighter.

Exceptions are Power Attack and Expertise, which can produce huge bonuses and are useful in nearly any combat situation; Toughness, which is useful in ALL combat and stacks to high levels; Rapid Shot which can double your attacks with a missile weapon.

The only difference between a Warrior-20 and a Fighter-20 is eleven feats and 21 hit points... and those are considered to be worth 1 CR all together.

Is a 20th level Warrior really an even match for a 19th level fighter?

Mike

ForceUser

Explorer
In the group I play in, Dodge/Mobility/Spring Attack/Whirlwind Attack is a popular feat chain. Improved Initiative is well-regarded also. Power Attack is NOT popular, because the general feeling is they'd rather hit more often for less damage than hit less often for more damage per blow. But like others have said, there are no "must have" fighter feats other than Weapon Focus/Weapon Spec.

Sodalis

First Post
that and point blank,rapid, precise shot for archers...

weapon focus, power attack, weapon spec for fighters

power attack is useful only at higher lvls- where you know you an hit the monster. attack bonuses scale very rapidly, while AC usually stay stagnant after lvl 5 or so. The only other time AC goes up is when you get magical enchantment- and even then- it isnt all that much. +1 every two levels or so...

Last edited:

Al

First Post
At high levels, Improved Initiative is the single most important feat in the game. At level 11 or so+, you'd be a fool not to have it. And by level 15, if I could only take ONE feat, this would be it. Why?

An arcane spellcaster with Improved Initiative against any opponent that doesn't have it can toast him (especially with Persistent Haste, enervate if necessary).
A cleric with Improved Initiative against any opponent that doesn't have it can obliterate him (Destruction for poor Fort saves, Maximised Flame Strike for poor Reflex saves, Greater Command or similar for poor Will saves- monks can simply be beaten down in melee).
A rogue with Improved Initiative against any opponent except a barbarian or rogue that doesn't can do an immense amount of damage against him; against a rogue should win by virtue of going first; against a barbarian has lost by default.
A martial class with Improved Initiative against any opponent that doesn't can either take him down (esp. with Power Critical or against wizards) or gain a significant advantage.

...and a bard with Improved Initiative can run away and hope for the best- at high levels, a bard's best hope is for a draw in battle :p

med stud

First Post
My list on obligatory Fighter feats:

1) Power attack; this is the fighter's way of dealing huge amounts of damage in late game. It's very good for rapier- fighters while each +1 damage goes very well with the rapier's crit range.
2) Improved initiative; King at early levels and very useful at later levels. To get the drop on someone is almost always a hit.
3) Weapon focus + Weapon specialization; this is among the best the Fighter gets.
4) Power critical; Clerics have Destruction, Wizards have Disintegrate, Fighters have Power critical. Early in a fight, a Fighter charging and Power attacking can deal obscene amounts of damage.
5) Cleave; I really think this one is usable at all levels. If the wizard or rogue has damaged an opponent to single digits, take it out without losing an attack. It can mean very high damages.

Carnifex

First Post
med stud said:

4) Power critical; Clerics have Destruction, Wizards have Disintegrate, Fighters have Power critical. Early in a fight, a Fighter charging and Power attacking can deal obscene amounts of damage.

What's Power Critical? Do you mean Improved rather than Power?Or is this some new feat I haven't come across yet?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Carnifex said:

What's Power Critical? Do you mean Improved rather than Power?Or is this some new feat I haven't come across yet?

Power Critical is a feat from Masters of the Wild. It allows you, once per day, to declare one attack an automatic critical threat.

Last edited:

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Al said:
An arcane spellcaster with Improved Initiative against any opponent that doesn't have it can toast him (especially with Persistent Haste, enervate if necessary).

You can't use the Persistant Spell feat with Haste. Persistant Spell can only be used on spells with a personal or fixed range. Haste has a range of Touch. From the DnD FAQ:

"Would spells that have touch range, such as spell resistance, be considered to have a fixed range, and therefore be usable with the Persistent Spell feat?
No. Range touch is not "fixed" for purposes of the Persistent Spell feat. The spell must affect the caster's person (personal range) or have some effect that radiates from the caster's person (a fixed range, expressed in feet)."

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I have to agree with Improved Initiative. In fact, I think it's essential for any PC. I also think Dodge is essential, even if the character isn't aiming at Whirlwind Attack. Dodge can keep you alive at low levels, thus allowing you the chance to live long enough to become a high level fighter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads