What Fits Into a Two-Hour Adventure?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The kids need a ride from their soccer game. The spouse wants help with preparing dinner. The boss called for a "short" weekend meeting. The laundry isn't doing itself . . .

But you have a two-hour window, dice, and friends. And fantasy ideas have been brewing all week.

What events can you cram into a two-hour game session? And in fairness, assume that at least one PC survives (and can rez the others if necessary)!

Yora

Legend
That really depends a lot on the rules system.

In say, Scum and Villainy, I might tell the players "You get a message from an ally that he urgently needs someone picked up from a nearby planet and away from his pursuers."
Players are going to the meeting point, take the guy to their landing pad, take off, get past traffic in orbit, and jump to hyperspace. Add to that complications as seems managable considering the remaining time.

Aran

Explorer
Start in media res to save time. The party is far enough into the abandoned temple that they require dark vision or torches, the sounds of the forest outside are gone, the air is cool and humid... when something attacks from the darkness! My first thought is a displacer beast (or two) to get everyone shook up. Poisoned spike traps and undead priests will greet them further along. A one-way door temporarily traps them in a room with a rust monster. When they finally make it to the central prayer (and treasure) chamber they find it's been turned into a nest of umber hulks with a tunnel down into caverns for a later adventure...

When I was writing adventures for Living City, which is four hours, I had one minor combat, one major combat, one puzzle, and one RP encounter. Minor combats, puzzles, and RP encounters were interchangeable if I wanted to change the balance a bit. There was also an unwritten RP encounter that let the PCs introduce themselves and show off their common abilities a bit.

Not quite what you asked for, but it might be helpful.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
In my experience, two hours of game time is...

(In Basic D&D): enough time to roll up characters, introduce the adventure, sail across the Sea of Dread, arrive in Tanaroa, and cross the rope bridge to the central plateau in "X1: The Isle of Dread."

(In 3rd Edition): enough time to roll up characters, introduce the town of Oakhurst, and reach the Citadel in "The Sunless Citadel."

(In 3.5 Edition): enough time to roll up characters, then email everyone the introductory materials for "Fortress of the Yuan-Ti" as they are packing up to go home.

(In Pathfinder): enough time to roll up characters.

(in 5th Edition): enough time to roll up characters and explain the importance of The Ordning, in "Storm King's Thunder."

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
When I was writing adventures for Living City, which is four hours, I had one minor combat, one major combat, one puzzle, and one RP encounter. Minor combats, puzzles, and RP encounters were interchangeable if I wanted to change the balance a bit. There was also an unwritten RP encounter that let the PCs introduce themselves and show off their common abilities a bit.
My baseline for a 3-4 hour game has been a minor fight, a puzzle, and a social encounter for quite a while now. Then improvise more if needed. So far, it seems like too much for a 2-hour game. I'm shifting my schedule around and looking at playing a couple of short games in a weekend instead of one longer/average one.

@CleverNickName character creation can be a pain (or a joy!) but that's what pre-gens are for!

@Mezuka says that a 5-room dungeon will work. As a PC, I'd find a 5-room location a bit underwhelming, and then a bit overwhelming upon realizing that each room contains a serious encounter. If each room were instead a zone, then PCs could stretch their legs a bit, but the Baron and I might have trouble getting through the 5 encounters in two hours.

Mezuka

Hero
@Mezuka says that a 5-room dungeon will work. As a PC, I'd find a 5-room location a bit underwhelming, and then a bit overwhelming upon realizing that each room contains a serious encounter. If each room were instead a zone, then PCs could stretch their legs a bit, but the Baron and I might have trouble getting through the 5 encounters in two hours.

Memorable doesn't necessarily mean complicated or long. It could be a group of myconids singing in harmony to help the fungus of the cave walls grow faster (for whatever unexplained reason, it's D&D). Passage could be made by trading musical stories or a song.

aco175

Legend
I would have the players bring 2 PCs each with them so to not waste time making them. With 2, they can make a better group by choosing which to play among themselves.

I would plan about 15 minutes for intro and simple exploration followed by 15 minutes for an encounter/fight. Move to main place like a tomb with 3 rooms there. Have a trap or puzzle and a small encounter with the final threat being a larger fight. Leave 10-15 minutes for conclusion like returning to town with the lost child or family heirloom or such.

There is also good arguments for just starting at the dungeon after 5 minutes of setup.

Remove ads