D&D General What flavor of D&D has the fastest combat?

Vaalingrade

Legend
'Fast' is a very relative term when it comes to D&D combat.

Kind of asking which is the fastest Tectonic plate. D&D flipped from 'combat is a punishment' to 'combat is the point' with very little refractory period.

One of the things I did with Bugbears&Borderlands (5e basic) was to remove bonus action economy. Funny enough, the goal when I wrote the game was to use Moldvay's philosophy of streamlining the game, to make B&B feel like the 5e version of B/X lol.
That reminds me, I need to get a copy of B&B for my wife and kids (and me, as I prefer fast play).

ThrorII

Adventurer
Thanks for all the replies. Not surprised that everyone is saying Basic. I remember my games back then going very quickly, but then again, we were 14.

Follow up question: any preferences among the various OSR games on this front? Is Shadowdark (for example) faster/slower/same as Basic?
For OSR? We play OSE (Old School Essentials) or just straight B/X.

Flights of Fancy

Candy is King
My least favorite thing about D&D is waiting half an hour for my turn to come around in combat.

So which flavor/branch of D&D has the quickest combat, in your experience? I assume it's some varierty of OSR, but please enlighten me.
Wait, do you mean you don't like how long combat takes to play out or you don't like the waiting part? Or both?

Remove ads