D&D (2024) What form might subclasses take in 1DnD? (+)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I do really like this idea, and if something like this were adopted then my objection to subclasses being gained at level 1 no longer applies.

This is already how I do it for my more casual players since I need to accompany them at level ups. So unless specified, all classes have a pretty straight progression. Especially so when I dont play with ASI or Feats.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I guess really we could do this now; for example, take the Fighter from the Basic rules and swap in features from the other subclasses as desired. But it would be nice to see it as an intentional design rather than a cobbled-together hodgepodge.
Ideally they dont switch features individually, they switch all their ''archetypes features'' wit the ones from the desired ''variant archetype''.

But I do sometime switch some features that I find more interesting, like the Slayer's Eyes is added to the Hunter's 3rd level features because its pretty cool and thematic.

the Jester

Legend
Do subclasses really make characters feel different from one another? I.e., how much of the thematic specificity of a devotion/ancients/vengeance paladin comes from their specific channel divinity mechanics, and how much comes from their subclass tenets as a guide to roleplay?

In my experience, yes they do.

delericho

Legend
Do subclasses really make characters feel different from one another? I.e., how much of the thematic specificity of a devotion/ancients/vengeance paladin comes from their specific channel divinity mechanics, and how much comes from their subclass tenets as a guide to roleplay?
I find it varies by class. And I think that was the intent - that the earlier the subclass is chosen, the more the options diverge.

My hope is that either subclasses stay as they are, but we get some more classes in 5.5e.

or

We keep the same number of classes, and subclasses are made a lot more influential in how the class plays, with subclass abilities rather than class abilities coming more often and earlier.

Remove ads