What Game or Publisher Would You Have Be Market leader

Reynard

Legend
Just as a hypothetical exercise, if you could wave your magic wand and determine what the market leader in the TTRPG industry should be -- company, game, or both -- what would it be?

FYI "WotC" and/or "D&D" is a perfectly viable answer if you like the status quo.

For my part, as far as "market leader game" goes I would pull some timey-wimey stuff and have had circa 2000 WotC make Alternity THE game system instead of d20. there would be a D&D Alternity game, but also a modern and space opera and horror and post apocalyptic etc... I really love the original Alternity, especially Star*Drive.

Failing that, Savage Worlds and Pinnacle deserve a much bigger piece of the pie than they are allotted and wouldn't mind seeing that game lead the industry.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm going to say WotC and D&D, but not because they are "deserving" or something.

Being market leader has implications and impacts on business practices and game design. I can't think of another company or game that would be improved by those implications.

Last edited:

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
It's an interesting question, and I can't for my life come to a conclusion as to what I think. :D

But if I look back at the games that dominated my early gaming life, I'd go for Drakar och Demoner version 2 as the dominant game, and Target Games consquently as the market leader.

If we look at what I play today, Free League could become the market leader, if we look at our table and the games we play.*

* Disclaimer: I and two one of my players do freelance work for Free League, so the bias might be strong with us.

EDIT: Or what the heck. Stockholm Kartell as the dominant player, Pirate Borg (by Limithron) as the dominant game. That'd be sweet. :D

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
How about none?

No single market dominator; instead, a number of large-ish companies each have a significant share (and, perhaps, each their own niche within the hobby e.g. one generally focuses on OSR, one on story-now games, one on modern-trad a la 4e, etc.) meaning there's more likely to be something for everyone that's widely available and easy to find.

Remove ads