What game systems or stand alone games have you not played, but would like to try?

steenan

Adventurer
There's a number of games that I have and want to play, but didn't yet have an opportunity, usually because people I play with are not interested in them or people are more interested in playing different games. The most important ones on my list are:
  • Bliss Stage
  • Bluebeard's Bride
  • Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine
  • City of Mist
  • The Sword, the crown and the unspeakable power
There is also Glitch that is currently being kickstarted and that I definitely play to run as soon as it's ready.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
There's a number of games that I have and want to play, but didn't yet have an opportunity, usually because people I play with are not interested in them or people are more interested in playing different games. The most important ones on my list are:
  • Bliss Stage
  • Bluebeard's Bride
  • City of Mist
There is also Glitch that is currently being kickstarted and that I definitely play to run as soon as it's ready.

I've heard a little about Bluebeard's Bride and it sounded really interesting.

hawkeyefan

Legend
  • Bliss Stage
  • Bluebeard's Bride
  • City of Mist

City of Mist is a pretty cool game. I only played it a couple of times, but I enjoyed it and wouldn't mind playing some more.

Bluebeard's Bride I'm only familiar with through what people say online. The other's I'm not familiar with at all.

It's pretty remarkable how many different games and types of games there are these days.

I;ve never played this style of game before. how does it work? Is it all narrative? Do the Queens define character traits? what do the prompts do?

It's a GMless, all-narrative game, no stats, just random cards (questions and a bunch of sample Queen portraits) and a set of rules on how to answer.

Premise is The Queen is on a secret journey to end the war that has been raging. She has chosen only you, the player characters, to accompany her. You love the Queen. The Queen is an NPC and all your characters revolve around her.

You can, as a group, define the setting as anything that fits that premise: space opera, medieval fantasy...there's even a group that played it as "For the Queen Bee." You define it all in play, by answering questions on the cards that prompt you to develop your character, the Queen, and the setting.

"The Queen trusts you, but no one else in the royal court does. Why?"
"What do you usually do for the royal family? Why does that make you an unlikely choice for this journey?"
"What brings out the Queen's cruelty?"
"Who is this distant power your are travelling to, and why do they make you uneasy?"

On your turn, you either answer the question on the card you draw, or pass the card to someone else that you think would be a better fit. So you all create the story together.

And when you draw "The Queen is under attack. Do you defend her?" each player has to decide. Each character could fight, flee, betray the Queen, or so on, depending on how they have developed their relationship with the Queen. And so the game ends.

I've heard the One Shot Podcast playthrough, and the resulting storytelling can be pretty dynamite. It can be great for worldbuilding as well as coming up with the dark and tragic stories of the Queen's followers.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Spectaculars: Just arrived on our doorstep
Backed this one through Kickstarter, and excited to give it a spin.

Tales From the Loop: This looks fun and flavourful.

Please share how you like Spectaculars when you get to it. I missed the KS but the game looks pretty cool and I’d love to hear how it plays.

Tales from the Loop is definitely fun and flavorful. I played a short campaign and really enjoyed it.

its probably more me misunderstanding how the Score Planning, Position, Character and Crew Actions work together to build the adventure. They read as prescriptive to me with the game being "narrating the dice rolls".
I can see how that fits the genre and still has room for embellishment but its not entirely freeform sandbox adventure :)

The game has a lot of different elements that individually are easy to understand, but how they interact with one another can be a lot to absorb. It’s the kind of game that you kind of get in stages. The first few scores should probably be straightforward and likely prepped by the GM. When you get the hang of the basics, you can then kind of expand to the other areas like the crew and the factions and all of that.

Eventually it all comes together. After we got going, it was the most sand boxy game I think I’ve ever seen.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
From where I'm sitting, on my shelf I can see games I haven't played yet:

Feng Shui 2
Dialect (not a traditional RPG, admittedly)
Fate of Cthulhu
Cypher System
7th Sea
Capers
Tachyon Squadron
Alternity 2.0

One that I've heard many great accounts, but I don't own and have never played...

10 Candles.

practicalm

Explorer
I have a good number of the In Nomine books (Steve Jackson Games: In Nomine) but I've never found the right group to play it.
I would like to play a Dresden Files campaign eventually, but I'm not even sure what the system is any more. Was there an original system and then there is a FATE version or was I confused.

Arilyn

Hero
I have a good number of the In Nomine books (Steve Jackson Games: In Nomine) but I've never found the right group to play it.
I would like to play a Dresden Files campaign eventually, but I'm not even sure what the system is any more. Was there an original system and then there is a FATE version or was I confused.
Played In Nomine years ago. Had fun.
Dresden first came out for Fate in two big books. It was a great game but more complicated than typical Fate. Recently, it came out using Fae, a more streamlined version of Fate.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases