D&D 5E What gaming aids from previous editions do you still use?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Someone made a comment about how they still use some 2e stuff in 5e. Which got me thinking. Which aids and supplements from previous editions do you still use in your 5e games?

I still use Core Rules 2.0 (from 2e). The map maker and even the encounter builder (hyperlinked to areas in the map) are still very valuable. I just use 5e monster stats instead. If you don't have another tabletop app you use, this is great.

I also use 2e's Creative Campaigning. Well, I've used it so much to learn from that I don't actively break it out, but rather it has a lot of valuable information that is system agnostic and is great advice.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
wb.jpg
arm.jpg
cm.jpg

jasper

Rotten DM
I gave away a lot of my gaming aids a decade or so ago. I just priced a Dragonbone (Dice wand). Ouch almost 300. And the battle mats I see today don't seem to be too hardy.

Weiley31

Legend
I honestly look and use alot of 1st/2E and 3E for lore and stuff.

If I want Djinn, That one Secret of The Lamp supplement for Al-Qadim 2E.

If I'm running Temple of Elemental Evil, then the original 1E book with the conversion.

Planescape? 2E campaign setting.

Realms Lore/Races/classes(for reflavoring)? Step on up 3E/3.5.

I use the Manual of the Planes whenever I can find an excuse to. As much as I love extraplanar adventures, I really need to get around to running a Planescape campaign.

Also, when running in the Forgotten Realms, Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog is great. I find the food and drink section to be particularly useful. The various Volo's Guides from that era are also quite handy for inspiration and lore.

Last edited:

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
World Builder's Guidebook and Dungeon Builder's Guidebook - essential!

D&D Rules Cyclopedia - still my favorite domain and mass combat rules.

Michael Morris' (what ever happened to him, anyway?) 2nd edition Dusk books - he had a great events and timelines generator that is very handy

A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe and Silk Road

All good stuff to have in your arsenal...

Remove ads