D&D 5E What genre is D&D?

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
And what makes 5e as written like the Avengers? Please cite examples from the comics, movies, animated series or toy lines.
Not interested in turning this into an argument.

Morrus asked a question, and like everyone one in this thread, I gave a brief answer. Don't like my answer? That's okay, yours is just as valid and I'm not demanding that you cite specific evidence for it.

I don't think there is a single correct or objective answer, and I have nothing further to add.

Move along, move along, this isn't the droid you're looking for...

MGibster

Legend
And by genre I mean a few things -- what time period (dark ages, medieval, renaissance?), tone, etc. do you generally associate with D&D as it is portrayed in official products?
I used to associate it with a quasi-late medieval period no doubt in part because I associated swords, wizards, and fantasy in general with that period. But at some point, probably around 25 years ago, I came to the conclusion that D&D was really its own particular genre.

For me I'd say it's not medieval at all -- more Renaissance through Victorian through an American lens. I mean, really it has created its own genre, and kinda gets to define the genre.
I think your assessment is correct and not just because we're in agreement that D&D is its own genre. In a way, D&D is like an episode of the Flintstones. Between magic and the way society is set up, it feels awfully modern.

Remove ads