• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What gods do you NEED?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
While there will always be someone who wants, say, to worship a god of magic, for the most part, aren't most gods pretty expendable? It seems that most settings have lots of dieties more for the feel of a huge pantheon (and, I suppose, lots of choices in dominains) than anything else.

If you were playing in a game, what sorts of gods would you feel the need for in the setting?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
None at all.

I like gods in two different forms, generally -

either frightfully human creatures with all our foibles, failings and everything else... like humans turned up to 11, and en masse. Thousands of them, bickering over worshippers.

or an uber-god or uber-pantheon that is SO seperate from humanity that you have a hard time even associating an alignment with them at all... gods or god in this environment are ideals and concepts, not creatures.

---

I'm happy running Basic D&D style, with a church of law, a church of Chaos, and some priests in between the two.

jmichels

First Post
About the only gods that I would need to see in a campaign are gods of evil. You always need that diety that the evil clerics worship. You can make it a malevolent force that seeks the destruction of the planet or wants to subjugate all mortals or something. On the good side I don't mind having a monothiestic religion. In fact having a Christian style religion in a D&D style world is quite refreshing.

Storminator

First Post
jmichels said:
About the only gods that I would need to see in a campaign are gods of evil. You always need that diety that the evil clerics worship. You can make it a malevolent force that seeks the destruction of the planet or wants to subjugate all mortals or something. On the good side I don't mind having a monothiestic religion. In fact having a Christian style religion in a D&D style world is quite refreshing.

That is exactly how my PBeM goes. There are other religions in other parts of the world, but the players haven't made it there.

In general, I think there should be at least two, so you can have the great conflict.

PS

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I like either Greek/Roman style gods, like Hellhound mentioned first, or a Christian-style monotheism (with demon-worshipping cults and morally ambiguous witch-hunters, natch).

Psionicist

Explorer
I have always seen the FR gods as parts/aspects of the collective faith of all intelligent beings, including monsters. A wizard, interested in magic, will of course belive in the magic aspect of "faith", which, incidentally, creates all the magic in the world. If no one belived in magic anymore, the magic god would vanish and magic wouldn't exist. It's a chicken-egg-situation by design ;)

dvvega

Explorer
One god. The longer I have played any form of roleplaying, the more I have found that a single god/power/what have you worshipped in different aspects is certainly enough and doesn't force players to choose from a restricted list of domains.

Thus you can have any weird combination of domains and justify it via an 'aspect' of that one power.

D

Arkhandus

First Post
Heheheh. It'd be neat to run a campaign someday that simply uses the Ultima set-up with just Order and Chaos in conflict..... Order associated with the Virtues (Sacrifice, Valor, Humility, Compassion, and Truth I think, I could be off on one or two), and Chaos associated with freedom, wanton behavior, and such.

My campaigns often have a variety of religions elements; some animist faiths, some pantheistic faiths, an occasional monotheistic or dualistic religion, a philosophical society here and there, and some cultures that blend elements of these, such as an animist faith that also recognizes one or more deities and perhaps a handful of saints.

Anyway.... For campaigns that make use of deities..... Well, keep in mind that any or all of these could just be different aspects of a single deity. I.E. in 3E Deities & Demigods, there's a sample sun goddess that has a creator aspect, a destroyer aspect, and some neutral aspect, with various churches and cults dedicated to different aspects and different parts of those aspects.

Generally, you may need patrons of.....
Death/Destruction
Life/Nature
Magic/Knowledge
Luck/Fate/Chance/Time/whichever
Trickery
Creation/Elements, or one for each element, unless already part of the nature deity

For a minimalist pantheon (rather than a single deity, or at least, rather than a single deity with a single broad aspect) there'll generally be 1) a deity of life, nature, creation, the elements, agriculture, fertility, light, and the joys of living; 2) a deity of death, destruction, war, villainy, blight, storms, entropy, emptiness, darkness, and waste; 3) a deity of magic, knowledge, power, mystery, and possibly also of fate and time; 4) a deity of trickery, revelry, games, debauchery, festivities, passion, ingenuity, and possibly love; and possibly a few other deities encompassing some of those things or other, more extraneous concepts; generally the role of a fate/luck/chance/time deity will be part of the deity of magic/knowledge or the deity of trickery, or perhaps luck, chance, and such may be separate of all deities, simply a force generated by the existence and interactions of those deities and through the free will of mortals.

Likewise, the role of a creator/elemental deity may be subsumed by the nature/life deity. Generally, goodly folk will esteem the deity of life/nature, while also loving the deity of trickery/luck and the deity of knowledge/magic, while despising the deity of death/destruction; the trickster deity and/or the sagely deity may also be hated or poorly regarded, as perhaps annoying or sinister in some way, such as Loki in the Norse pantheon or Coyote amongst some Native American faiths. At the same time, though, those deities may be revered or respected even as they are disliked by some or many; for is not Loki cunning and funny, Coyote witty and lively?

So anyway, a 4-deity pantheon could be an interesting minimalist one to work with; a benevolent deity of Nature, a spiteful deity of Destruction, a spunky deity of Hedonism, and an ominous deity of Secrets. Nature and Destruction clash regularly on principles of good and evil, while Hedonism and Secrets clash on principles of chaos and law.

At the same time, Nature shuns the strangeness and manipulative ways of Secrets, while respecting the way that Secrets hides the natural laws and safeguards reality against Destruction. Destruction itself courts Secrets and respects its power, but at the same time is envious and hateful that Secrets commands such power while sharing so little and not helping against Nature. Secrets respects the role that the others play in fate and keeping the world interesting, acknowledging the determination and zeal of both Nature and Destruction, but can't fathom the aimless and wanton nature of Hedonism, while also finding the singlemindedness of Nature and Destruction to be boring and repetitive. Secrets appreciates the occasional ways in which Hedonism spices up life with randomness, but also finds it annoying at times, while respecting Hedonism's indifference and capacity to enjoy life regardless of anything. Hedonism, meanwhile, enjoys the variety of things to do and experience as a result of Nature, yet can also find pleasure in random destruction, trickery, and hijinks with Destruction. Hedonism enjoys puzzling over the mysteries of Secrets, but finds the fellow too dull and unwilling to let Hedonism in on the joke or truth of things. Hedonism also finds Secrets to be annoying in its codifying and classifying of everything, its tendency to meddle and interfere in Hedonism's fun, and how Secrets hoards everything. Nature appreciates Hedonism's zest for life and the way Hedonism encourages life, but finds Hedonism to also be often self-destructive in its drives and too often helping Destruction inadvertantly, and worse, sometimes even actively helping Destruction on a lark. Destruction enjoys the wanton and insidiously self-destructive nature of Hedonism's excesses, but is also annoyed by how much Hedonism enjoys things and mocks everything, and how Hedonism makes life more enjoyable for others, leaving a difficult job for Destruction to drive them towards madness, gloom, and villainy.

Just some ramblings, heheh.....

shaylon

First Post
I am a fan of a smaller pantheon, maybe three to five gods, or less. I think when you get into these large pantheons of thirty-plus gods it get's too confusing as a player to know who your enemies are and why, and many times it get's to the point where anyone who doesn't worship your god is an enemy, with the exception of when you need healing, then any cleric with a holy symbol is a welcome sight.

Too often it seems to go that way. I think a smaller pantheon prevents as such, but then it makes filling a 320 page book a bit difficult when you only are talking about three gods/religions/etc.

Remove ads