• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What have you been cooking recently?

Timeboxer

Explorer
So I've been on a weird cooking frenzy lately, possibly because I'm a little excited about moving to a new apartment. Here's what I've made recently:

• steak au poivre
  • philly cheesesteaks
  • filet mignon with blue cheese sauce
  • peanut butter fudge
  • homemade brownies

How about you? Any interesting recipes to share?

CoatRackOfDoom

First Post
just had burgers at my brother's place. My job was to roast the Anaheim Chiles and peel/de-seed them. Sooo tasty on a cheeseburger!

I plan to make this soon - a recipe my buddy calls "hash" but I think sounds more like Potato Stroganoff:
1. Slice up a couple of pounds of potato.
2. Brown 1lb ground beef (or meat of choice) and one diced onion.
3. Add to browned meat and onions: 8oz sour cream, 8oz milk, 1 can condensed soup (cream of celery or mushroom).
4. Stir and heat.
5. In casserole, arrange a layer of potato slices, salt and pepper, layer of meat sauce, layer of potato slices, repeat.
6. Bake in oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
7. If desired, add toppings such as shredded cheese or fried onions, etc.

Galethorn

First Post
Grilling salmon marinated in garlic-and-lemon sauce and fresh orange juice later today...

Did chicken with a similar marinade a couple of days ago...

Helped my mom make some excellent pasta salad with mushrooms, orange pepper, green-beans, and pine nuts last week...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In the past month, I've cooked...

7-Steak Pot-roast

7-Steak Stew

Ribeyes with Roasted garlic (in a wine butter sauce) & asst veggie sides

Garlic Pepper Pork Chops w/Cajun Red Beans & Rice (w/ 2 kinds of sausage)

Shrimp Stir-Fry

Turkey cassarole

Roast Turkey stuffed with onions (green, red & yellow), garlic, celery in a wine butter marinade.

Country style Pork ribs marinated in beer, lemon juice, worsteshire sauce, roasted (the first time, grilled on another day) with a dry rub of powdered onion, garlic and black pepper. Sauce optional.

Slivered yukon gold potatoes drizzled with butter, lemon juice, black pepper and rosemary.

A garlic & olive oil puree (its a dip)

CoatRackOfDoom

First Post
In the past month, I've cooked...

7-Steak Pot-roast

7-Steak Stew

Ribeyes with Roasted garlic (in a wine butter sauce) & asst veggie sides

Garlic Pepper Pork Chops w/Cajun Red Beans & Rice (w/ 2 kinds of sausage)

Shrimp Stir-Fry

Turkey cassarole

Roast Turkey stuffed with onions (green, red & yellow), garlic, celery in a wine butter marinade.

Country style Pork ribs marinated in beer, lemon juice, worsteshire sauce, roasted (the first time, grilled on another day) with a dry rub of powdered onion, garlic and black pepper. Sauce optional.

Slivered yukon gold potatoes drizzled with butter, lemon juice, black pepper and rosemary.

A garlic & olive oil puree (its a dip)

If DannyAlcatraz is going to be cooking there, I might just go to GenCon!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If I ever go to GenCon, I may just cook! :)

I almost wish I could give classes here on EnWorld- some of these things are pretty simple once you know what you're doing.

The Roast Turkey, for instance, is something I stumbled upon.

1) Clean your bird.

2) Melt butter, adding white wine, and just a little lemon juice (or powdered citric acid) equivalent to 1 lemon. Make a lot of this- at least 2/3 cup total volume liquid. It should be pretty thin and easy to pour.

DON'T USE COOKING WINE- its largely wine-flavored salt water. The wine you use should be a dryer white that you wouldn't mind drinking (if you like dry white wines).

3) Stuff bird and line pan with your favorite veggies- in addition to the ones I listed above, I've also added baby carrots, zucchini and mushrooms to the mix with decent results.

4) Pour butter/wine mix over bird, then season to taste- I use powdered onion & garlic, red & black pepper, and paprika to improve browning. Your bird should be sitting in a bath of liquid about halfway up the pan (if the pan is close to being full of your bird). If you didn't make enough, just pour more wine into the pan.

Notice I use no salt- I'm a sodium-dependent hypertensive. You won't miss it though.

5) This is the tough part- look in a cookbook to find the right time & temp for your bird. I prefer to use the "sear then slow cook" method. Cook it at high heat for 15 minutes, then turn the temp down for a long, slow cook.

I don't tent the bird, I don't flip it, I don't baste it, and I don't cook it upside down.

Instead, the butter & wine mix will steam the turkey, and it should be juicy. Done right, this will be the easiest and juiciest turkey you'll ever make.

If you have the time, for extra credit in your home-ec class, open up that cookbook again and find "Stock."

1) Debone your bird that night and put it in storage- ziplocks, tupperware, it doesn't matter. It will take up less space.

2) Take the carcass and drop it in water, along with any veggies you don't want to eat (they burned, their texture is off, whatever) and any of the bird's pot drippings that are left. Set it on your stove to cook.

3) Don't let the water boil. You want a simmer, just below a boil. If the water boils, you risk overcooking the stock.

4) After the carcass falls apart in the pot, remove it and then cool & strain the liquid in the pot, removing the now flavorless veggies and meat bits.

Doing this, reducing it to a reasonable concentration, and cooling it for storage takes hours, so don't start making stock at dinnertime.

That stock should fill up a couple of ziplock bags or a medium largish bowl, depending upon how you intend to use it.

Used as a substitute for commercial chicken broth, its perfect for adding to beans, soups, and the like. I've used mine in gumbo- despite the unusual ingredients, they don't stand out. It merely tastes well seasoned.

Tonight, put it in my Creole red beans.

(BTW, the same steps can be used with shrimp or lobster for a seafood stock.)

Last edited:

awayfarer

First Post
In the last 1-2 weeks

Peanut butter muffins
Peanut butter cookies
Drop biscuits, ordinary and cheesy
Honey bread
Oatmeal griddlecakes
Broiled salmon
Char crusted garlic/rosemary porkloin (So tender I was able to cut it most of the way through with the edge of a fork. Mmmmmmm.)

Remove ads