D&D 5E What have you played from the PHB? And enjoyed?

Which PHB sub-class(es) have you played and enjoyed?

• Barbarian - Berserker

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Barbarian - Totem Warrior

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Bard - College of Lore

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Bard - College of Valor

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Cleric - Knowledge

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Cleric - Life

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • Cleric - Light

• Cleric - Nature

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Cleric - Tempest

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Cleric - Trickery

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Cleric - War

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Druid - Circle of the Land

• Druid - Circle of the Moon

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Fighter - Champion

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Fighter - Battlemaster

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Fighter - Eldtrich Knight

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Monk - Way of the Open Hand

• Monk - Way of Shadow

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Monk - Way of the Four Elements

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Paladin - Oath of Devotion

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Paladin - Oath of the Ancients

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Paladin - Oath of Vengeance

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • Ranger - Hunter

• Ranger - Beastmaster

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Rogue - Thief

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Rogue - Assassin

• Rogue - Arcane Trickster

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Sorcerer - Dragonic Bloodline

• Sorcerer - Wild Magic

• Warlock - Archfey

• Warlock - Fiend

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Warlock - Great Old One

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Wizard - Abjuration

• Wizard - Conjuration

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Wizard - Divination

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • Wizard - Enchantment

• Wizard - Evocation

• Wizard - Illusion

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Wizard - Necromancy

• Wizard - Transmutation

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • None, I DM all the time

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Poll closed .

Sadras

Legend
...I can say that as a DM, there isn't a lot of guidance given as to how to adjudicate this stuff. I tend to go with the "say yes" approach too, but, it can be difficult. Or, at least a lot more difficult than, say, adjudicating a fireball.

You're right advice on this appears to be a little light.
Experience would inform me to allow a check or save to be made, similar to what is required for a fireball and instead of half damage, the DM could use Degrees of Success or Success with Complication. But yeah this learned by playing the game and making bad calls often (at least the first few years) unless someone takes you under their wing to speed up the learning.

Undrave

Legend
Arcane Trickers pulling ahead and meeting up with Battlemaster and Oath of the Ancient at the front of the pack! Nice!

Hussar, I agree with you. One thing I chide myself on is forgetting that this is Magick,
and not just a bit of textual code to be integrated into the program.

The Invisible Sun RPG has a great list of effects per level, which I wish the DMG had as well. It makes playing “ in the moment” so much easier, than shuffling thru the books for the exact wording of the spell or stat block.

I also tend to believe, now, that dice rolls are for players ( or the result of player actions ), otherwise I often calculate Passive Scores and skip the dice roll. The goblin w/ 12 passive perception is fooled by the illusion, the Mind Flayer at 16 passive perception is going to investigate further.

This saves the players from having game sessions where I am ‘hot’ and my dice roll high numbers (I tend to use Public Roll).

Sorry a bit of a non sequitur, back to our scheduled program.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Battlemaster is REALLY popular...wow...20 people out of 49 voters played one!
Yeah, even though the Fighter has always been the most popular class, that's because it's the simplest class, as exemplified by the primary/default sub-class, the Champion (which, obviously, along with the other 3 of the Big 4's default sub-classes, the iconic Life Cleric, Thief Rogue, and Invoker Wizard, is leading in the poll, as always).
The BM was included only as a token to the tiny vocal minority who wanted the complexity of the 4e fighter for its own sake - so you can't expect it to get many votes, at all.

edit: now with 20% more sarcasm!

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
Yeah, even though the Fighter has always been the most popular class, that's because it's the simplest class, as exemplified by the primary/default sub-class, the Champion. The BM was included only as a token to the tiny vocal minority who wanted the complexity of the 4e fighter for its own sake - so you can't expect it to get many votes, at all.

Not sure if sarcastic...

Currently sitting at 26 out of 73 voters, for a 36% approval. Pretty nice.

Ulfgeir

Hero
I played a half-elf paladin - oath of the ancients in the Tiamat is rising-campaign. Worked quite well.

I play a variant tiefling lore-bard in Out of the Abyss. I like it, though it is the wrong campaign for a mischevious, sultry, and a bit flirty character that I had intended. Especially since the rest of the group are all monsters.. Well we have one Eladrin, and we were just joined by another Tiefling as we're heading back down (an Abyssal one)... We have one bugbear ranger, and two more that I can't remember what they are.

For a one-shot playtest of alternative grappling-rules I played a lvl 5 wood-elf barbarian (Totem warrior). I liked it and would have gladly played that in a full campaign. Let's just say wood-elf barbarians with a Glaive can hit things all over the area...

I did not enjoy the cleric that I played in a planned campaign that only lasted 1 or two sessions.

Last edited:

Ashrym

Legend
I subtotaled by class and broke it down. Here is the class order:

1575486369912.png

Here is the subclass order to show what subclasses drive that class order.

1575486429525.png

Remove ads