D&D 5E What House Rules Can You NOT Live Without?

Oofta

Legend
I don't really know how to explain it...it just feels dull somehow. Repetitive, predictable. Like you're not really playing a different character, you're just dressing it up in different clothes? I dunno.

But it's okay; we found a creative solution that works for us.
If I was worried about it (I'm not) I'd come up with a list of possible point buy options, so have 10 or even 20 different arrays.

But especially in 5E you're only talking a +1 here and there if you have roughly balanced ability scores. In any case, you have a solution for you and your group that's all that matters.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Lots of folks talking about how they house rule starting stats. Here's how we do it in our 5th Edition Eberron campaign:
  • Characters start with a magic item from Table F
  • Use the 4d6 method
  • Add up all of the modifiers from all six ability scores we rolled.
  • If the sum of all modifiers is less than +5: the player can reroll them, or keep them and start with a feat.
  • If the sum of all modifiers is greater than +9: the player can reroll them, or keep them and forfeit their magic item
I tend to just do the Gygax method of 4d6k3 and you need at least two 15s (not sure which rolling method he defaulted to, but the two 15s was definitely a thing) I might drop it to at least two 14s since a +2 bonus is generally all that's needed in your main stat to begin with and some will still be able to boost that to 16 with racial stats, especially if i start using my alternate race stat method.

In 2e I used to do 4d6k3 8 times and keep the 6 best which I could still do I guess.

Zio_the_dark

The dark one :)
I like using cards for determining ability scores it allows for randomness but everyone get the same total from their six abilities so it avoids imbalance in the same time.

Remove ads