D&D 5E What Humanoid Type Is The New King?

jgsugden

Legend
Just asking for thoughts on which humanoid type will be the option of choice for optimizers that assume free use of the Tasha's options.

Is it Mountain Dwarf with two +2 bonuses, poison resistance, advantage on poison saves, armor proficiencies, stonecunning, proficiency in medium armor, proficiency in 4 weapons, and proficiency in 1 tool? A mountain dwarf monk that starts with 17s in dex and wisdom, and gets to know all the ranged and finesse weapons (as well as make some of them monk weapons and get your favorite tools as well) seems like a strong start for a monk.

Or is it the Aarakocra? Flight for Wizards and sorcerer builds?

What humanoid types do you think will see a massive uptick in usage in 2021?

Last edited:

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Satyr and Yuan-ti pureblood have advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects. Lizardfolk have natural armor and some cool features but previously had suboptimal stat distribution. I also think the aasimar and the genasi are sufficiently flavorful that the additional flexibility will see them used more often.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Just asking for thoughts on which humanoid type will be the option of choice for optimizers that assume free use of the Tasha's options.

Is it Mountain Dwarf with two +2 bonuses, poison resistance, advantage on poison saves, armor proficiencies, stonecunning, proficiency in medium armor, proficiency in 4 weapons, and proficiency in 1 tool? A mountain dwarf monk that starts with 17s in dex and wisdom, and gets to know all the ranged and finesse weapons (as well as make some of them monk weapons and get your favorite tools as well) seems like a strong start for a monk.

Or is it the Aarakocra? Flight for Wizards and sorcerer builds?

What races do you think will see a massive uptick in usage in 2021?
planeshift amonkhet aven is a serious contender if you don't need mountain dwarf armor
1606180282603.png
Half elf is another serious contender with A floating +2, +1, +1 (under Tasha's variant), darkvision, 30 ft. speed (vs. 25 for dwarf), resistant to charm magic, immune to sleep magic, proficiency in two skills of your choice and a language proficiency of your choice (plus common and elvish)
The various races with spells tend to fall far short but would be much closer if those spells counted as always known/prepared without counting against the cap for known/prepared (dragonmarked races included.)
edit: There was another discussion on tis the other day here

Crit

Explorer
Mountain Dwarf and Aarakocra are no doubt going to be high up there.
While the duo +2's are noteworthy, I think that it's features that will really change the game. I think there'll be a lot of defense Yuan Ti Pureblood builds for their magic resistance, which helps survivability. I also think Gith have a place on the battlefield, as they could grant ~3 tool or weapon proficiencies, plus armor, plus useful racial feature spells, like Mage Hand to Misty Step.
I close with Tortle and Warforged, depending on what you're going for. I like Tortle because, depending on the build, I am free to ignore Dex, unarmored defense, mage armor, etc. and put higher stats into other things (so long as I take Alert or something). Warforged are pretty survivable too, which wouldn't hurt on any class.

In general, I think every race is probably going to turn up in places that they wouldn't have before. Now that virtually anyone is (stat wise) perfect for their class, then people will feel more comfortable bringing up certain ideas without forfeiting progress. I wouldn't have played a Yuan Ti fighter before, if I really cared about being a strong fighter, but here we are.

If we're thinking it'll be driven by mechanics, of expect it'd be races that favor frequent dump stats or awkward combinations.

As such, I think gnomes become a strong contender (mental save advantage is real strong). Tieflings also seem like candidates with INT-CHA.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The "Custom Lineage" humanoid:

+2 to any stat and a feat at level 1. Furthermore, that feat can be one of the half-feats, allowing you to start with an 18 in your primary stat even if you use the standard array. Better than vHuman at nearly everything, and leagues better than having a 3rd, 4th, or even higher tool proficiency.

Remove ads