D&D 5E What If 5E Becomes a Single-Edition-Pleaser?

Croesus

Adventurer
...what if the feedback given to WotC designers results in a 5E that simply only pleases the fans of any single previous edition of the game?

They'll end up with a new version no more successful than 4E, and possibly much less so.

Also, will WotC or the community be served by a process that produces such a game?

Nope.

And lastly, what are the best and worse case scenarios of such a result?

Since we won't know until the game has been released, I figure I might as well assume they'll avoid a train wreck like this and instead produce the game they've been talking about - one which appeals to a wide spectrum of new and former players. [fingers crossed]

Roland55

First Post
It could certainly happen -- but I doubt that it will. I think there are enough designers at WOTC with real experience and serious intent; they won't let this occur.

In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't already on the look-out for this sort of outcome.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The best case is they produce the goods and a game that simultaneously plays like OD&D, AD&D Rules Cyclopedia, 3.x and 4e, for any version of the above.
Now I an not convinced that this is possible. So I think that the realistic best prospect is a game that feels line core AD&D, Rules Cyclopedia, 3.x and 4 depending on the options chosen. I think that even at best there will be vocal dissatisfied players upset that blah from book blahblah is missing, or it does not feel right, etc.

The worst is that the wrong element are listened to and that the edition focuses too much in that direction leading to its rejection by fans of other editions. This is most likely if that edition's feel matched most closely with the biases of the desginers.

Now I do not think that this is very likely but would be a total disaster for WoTC and pretty much anyone that is looking forward to this but is not a fan of Pathfinder. the reason I am pickin out Pathfinder here is that Pathfinder is independantly supported, os its fans are covered so to speak.

The other way it could go badly wrong for WoTC is if they have inaccuretely mapped out the size of the edition populations.

Right now we have a number of populations of different sizes playing different editions of D&D. Some are playing the original games, some games produced by others that fit the feel of editions of D&D (e.g. the retro-clones and Pathfinder).

So a key question for WoTC is how big are these populations and how much corssover occurs. The final game should most please the largest population but not so much as to alienate the others. the other element is what aspect is it that binds these populations to their chosen version and can it be addressed simultaneously with the key attractors of fans of the other editions.

If they can indentify the relevant populations and the key elements that bind these populations to their beloved edition. Address that attraction across all the editions then they will have a success but if they mis-identify the poulations or the essential elements that attract a group to their prefered edition they coould produce a game that is poorly supported.

The downside to WoTC if they get it wrong is that the D&D division gets shut down. The downside to the community is that D&D gets shut down. Pathfinder and the OSR becomes what is left of D&D.

Fans of Pathfinder are in a relatively strong position on this, however, Erik Mona has stated here that he believes that the current edition of D&D is still the primary vehicle of introduction of new blood into tttrpgs. I don't know if he still holds that view or if he believes that Pazio is now strong enough to take up the slack if WoTC D&D dissappears. If he still holds his previous position then a failure of 5e is Ryan Dancy's prophecy of doom fulfilled.

Spinachcat

First Post
So my question is, what if the feedback given to WotC designers results in a 5E that simply only pleases the fans of any single previous edition of the game? Also, will WotC or the community be served by a process that produces such a game? And lastly, what are the best and worse case scenarios of such a result?

DDXP will introduce the core 5e system in 2 weeks. Its doubtful that the community playtesting will do much more than a few cosmetic changes to the direction WotC has already chosen.

What are you going to do when yours start to fall apart?

eBay!!!

You can easily find good condition books from 1977. I am sure eBay will have good condition 4e books in 2030 and beyond.

There is a real possibility it won't please fans of any edition.

It's guaranteed.

There are always gamers who say "I only play Xe" and they never convert to the new edition. Old Schoolers have the OSR and 3ers have Paizo and 4ers will probably have some upstart company in a few months.

BTW, it won't surprise me that Paizo launches its own 4.1e.

Then there are the gamers who try new editions for a few months and then return to their previous favorite edition. The only long term customers are those gamers who enjoy switching editions every 5 years. That's why the focus has to be on bringing fresh meat into the hobby.

WotC's mistake with 4e was skipping the heavy marketing and advertising necessary to bring in enough new gamers to make up for those lost during edition changes. If they don't devote significant resources to promoting 5e, then they will have the same financial problems as with 4e.

It can be done.

I remember that Traveller had all sorts of problems and splits from old editions. Mongoose did do a pretty good job of bringing the essential original game back in print to new time gamers. There are still detractors - inevitably - but I think the evidence of it's success is that it is still going strong, whereas D&D4th has had...let's just say, issues in appealing to it's broadbased fanbase.

My view is that D&D needs to go back to basics, having a good look at 1st edition primarily. This is not to say that 1st edition was by any means perfect, but people did play it in thousands. What was it doing right? Then move on to how it can be built on, taking ideas from any editions (including 4th) that followed, but steadily building it into a coherant, complete system.

Remove ads