What If Sauron Won? Check Out This Trailer For The MIDNIGHT RPG!

By Edge Studios, which currently produces the official Star Wars RPGs, this upcoming RPG is based on the 2000s-era campaign setting originally released for D&D 3E. The setting is dark, in a world where an evil god won their war of conquest and where evil dominated. Think what it would be like if Sauron had won. This iteration of the world will be powered by the D&D 5E rules, and will be...

By Edge Studios, which currently produces the official Star Wars RPGs, this upcoming RPG is based on the 2000s-era campaign setting originally released for D&D 3E. The setting is dark, in a world where an evil god won their war of conquest and where evil dominated. Think what it would be like if Sauron had won.

This iteration of the world will be powered by the D&D 5E rules, and will be appearing on May 27th.

It has been one hundred years since the Shadow fell. A century ago, the forces of darkness swept down from the North. The crushed the free cities of Humanity, drove the Elves back into the depths of the forests, and besieged the Dwarves in their mountain holds. Now the corrupted lieutenants of a dark God rule these broken kingdoms with an iron fist, while hunting down those brave few who still struggle defifiantly against the evil that consumes their world.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Sorely tempted to buy all of this. I could never sell my group on an overtly Middle-earth game, but something removed from that setting with that twist - that might work!

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Is this one book or a whole product line?
Hmm - I thought I followed a link to a page that listed a handful of products, but I must be thinking of something else. I don't think Edge Studios has announced how many products they'll be starting out with.

JCS

Explorer
Sorely tempted to buy all of this. I could never sell my group on an overtly Middle-earth game, but something removed from that setting with that twist - that might work!
The setting really is a love letter to Tolkien, but the dark twist makes all the difference. The 3E supplements can still be found and are available in .pdf format via DriveThuRPG. Under The Shadow is my favorite, detailing the insurgency in the city of Baden's Bluff. Legends of Shadow details the Night Kings (think Nazgul) as well as the Witch Queen (think Galadriel). City of Shadow covers Theros Obsidia (think Barad-dur) and Heart of Shadow the frozen north. Others cover various geography of the setting.

Great stuff.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
The setting really is a love letter to Tolkien, but the dark twist makes all the difference. The 3E supplements can still be found and are available in .pdf format via DriveThuRPG. Under The Shadow is my favorite, detailing the insurgency in the city of Baden's Bluff. Legends of Shadow details the Night Kings (think Nazgul) as well as the Witch Queen (think Galadriel). City of Shadow covers Theros Obsidia (think Barad-dur) and Heart of Shadow the frozen north. Others cover various geography of the setting.

Great stuff.

Uh oh. Looks like I might be spending money at DriveThru this weekend.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”

Great stuff.

So...I bought a couple of those from DriveThru (Under the Shadow and City of Shadow) and while there's some neat stuff in there, it's all in a format/style (pages upon pages of long form prose) that I just don't have patience for anymore, and honestly doesn't really help me prepare for a game any more than would a novel. I've been a real grumpy old man lately about RPG writers who are either being paid by the word or just love to read their own writing, but I really wish most of the superfluous prose (which is about 90%) could be stripped away and replaced with useful content.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
So...I bought a couple of those from DriveThru (Under the Shadow and City of Shadow) and while there's some neat stuff in there, it's all in a format/style (pages upon pages of long form prose) that I just don't have patience for anymore, and honestly doesn't really help me prepare for a game any more than would a novel. I've been a real grumpy old man lately about RPG writers who are either being paid by the word or just love to read their own writing, but I really wish most of the superfluous prose (which is about 90%) could be stripped away and replaced with useful content.
Sorry you didn't enjoy your purchases. It really sucks when that happens.

That said, I guess we'll just disagree on what's "superfluous prose" and what's "useful content." I hope the 5E version generally follows the model set out in the 3.5E products. IMO, the flavour and atmosphere are what make Midnight an interesting setting, much more so than rules, rules, rules.

But again, that's strictly a matter of opinion.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads