What if you brought 4E back to 1970?

pawsplay

Hero
The world "Eladrin" would certainly have more traction. People would try to figure out how skill challenges work. Someone would notice the lack of Chaotic Good and Lawful Evil alignments and houserule them in. The inability of the garage press RPG industry to compete with your production values would cause the "fantasy wargaming" hobby to become stillborn and your D&D product would define the market for years, with only mimeo-d pamphlets providing an "indie press."

Also, it would take about thirty seconds for some geek to figure out you were from the future, since your full-color book would look unlike anything in physical existence at the time.

Then, since this is handy time machine that splits timestreams, you pick a different one from the timestream you started from (so as not to screw up your own future) and then step through to something similar to our present to check and see how RPGs have evolved.

What would have happened if you had a finely turned rpg engine dropped into everyone's lap in the early 70s?

So, this is the real point of this thread, since your premise states you are already rich. You're asking the question, "What will D&D look like in 30+ years?" Then you're adding the twist that the current gaming environment does not exist -- no CCGs, no sophisticated video games, no plethora of products from 30 years of gaming still available on the Internet and in used bookstores, and no third-party D&D materials available.

We can speculate.

1) The original growth of the hobby was via word-of-mouth, particularly among wargamers and fantasy fans. Dropping a bunch of 4E product into that environment is likely to engender stunned disbelief and confusion. Imagine the initial reaction: "What is the 'Internet'?" "Who would pay $29.95 for a book like this?" "What's Wizards of the Coast, and why are all of these trademarks listed as being for the 21st century?" Since this would undoubtedly cause massive disruption, let us assume that you somehow obfuscate anything that references modern times explicitly...otherwise, you'll end up in a holding cell in a Third World country while unpleasant men who wear sunglasses indoors ask you...questions...

2) You would immediately have people copying the work and adapting it. First, the lack of history to the hobby means that people are likely to reinvent all of the other ways to do the things D&D does. There is no body of evidence yet in existence back then to suggest that an armor class system where 0 means unprotected is better than one where 10 means unprotected, right? Second, the understanding of copyright law by participants in the hobby back then was slightly lacking...

3) Eventually, the market would settle down into a dominant player (whoever owns the D&D rights), and a bunch of smaller competitors. The company names might not be GDW, or White Wolf, or Palladium, or Steve Jackson Games...and the game systems might look slightly different because of the inspiration from the "future version." Some would undoubtedly even look like the non-existant (in this timeline) earlier versions of D&D as a way to differentiate themselves.

4) By the year 2009, you are going to have a market with one dominant company and a bunch of smaller ones. (Nothing about 4E would have driven D&D mainstream -- it is a complex and slightly pricey hobby under any conditions.) There will be a wide mix of products using different systems. The 4E mechanics will be called "old school," and true grognards will refuse to play any other edition. Some systems will be classless, while others will use dice pools. In short, it will look very much like it does today, but the names will be changed to protect the guilty.

Admittedly, this seems like a long winded way to say, "no change." I think that there is a fallacy in your premise -- that evolution of a product line is going to lead to automatic improvement of a system over time. Fans today don't all agree that D&D is the best system, or that 4E is the best version of that system. We wouldn't have to ban edition wars threads if that weren't true. It's a matter of opinion. Given market forces, you're going to have a lot of the older ideas still get invented, and you'll have just as much variety.

Korgoth

First Post
What would have happened if you had a finely turned rpg engine dropped into everyone's lap in the early 70s?

Then I'd have to program Melan to go back in time and kill you to save mankind's imagination. Which would be amusing but then I wouldn't get to see his contributions in Fight On! magazine anymore.

And then people would be all like "Why would you make an infiltration model with a Hungarian accent?" And I'd be like "Well you let him kill you, didn't you? So it must have worked."

I bet it would unseat OD&D, most likely gary and dave would play this instead of there own game. People would take insperation and hit the ground running. The RPG world, and vedio game world would be the same but difffrent...someone makes WOW, and someone launches a new update to D&D and people compair the two...

S'mon

Legend
I think without the background of a generation grown up on computer/video games and modern action movies, the game would seem almost incomprehensible and not be very popular. The superhuman protagonists 4e models were not ubiquitous in 1970, people's minds-eye image of eg Lord of the Rings was very different from the Peter Jackson movies. I think the mechanics for controlling a single 'playing piece' would be regarded as excessively complex. Some people would try to make the game 'work' but it would be a minority taste. OTOH if the books are a $ each, alternatives would not be competitive. I'd expect by and large the RPG industry would be stillborn.

lotuseater

Explorer
i also think the point of the op isn't to speculate how people would respond to the technological advances in the publishing world, but how they would respond to the game itself, a game that has evolved over 30+ years. it would be an interesting experiment, but you would need to take the rules books and print them in 1970's style.

would the game be so far ahead of its time, and would people lack any point of reference with which to enter into it that it would be too overwhelming, and therefore ignored? are the 4ed designers correct in their assessment that they have simplified the game so much that someone 30+ years in the past could pick it up and start playing?

i think the key would just be the concept of a dm'd game. this would not have gained traction yet back then. i have a feeling it's not something you can just throw at people and expect people to pick it up on a large scale. it's a hobby that people pick up because they are introduced to it by friends. so i think first of all, even though the game is fully formed, or in fact perhaps because it is fully formed, it would be very slow to be adopted.

assuming that in time it was adopted, however, what would happen from there? how would the game evolve? impossible to say, really. it might in fact lead to less diversification in the industry because there might be less experimentation in the early days thanks to the fully formed game being dumped into their laps.

Remove ads