D&D (2024) What if you were in charge of reworking classes for 5.5?

Hmm. OK.
Part-casters: I would up the access to spells for part-casters. Current 1/3rd casters I would probably give current 1/2 casting progression to. Current 1/2 casters would probably get up to level 7 spells (2/3rds caster), although not as many as full casters.
I would also change the (unwritten) rule that subclasses cannot take away features of the base class.
Several classes would have a major decision point in addition to subclass choice in the same way that warlocks get their Pact and subclass.

Barbarian - I would expand this class to all warriors that tap into reserves of power for periods of time, and remove the "cultural" element (tribal, outlander, bearded, etc) completely. The new barbarian will include the same subclasses, but may also include the current Samurai, as well as the Champion - a simple, damage-focused subclass that gets lower, but always-on bonuses. Also increase capabilities outside combat such as ability to spend rages to get ability score, or check boosts.

Bard: - I would make an Intelligence-based caster.

Cleric - Seem pretty good at the moment. Possibly just reining in outlying subclass abilities such as some of the Twilight cleric. Vary spell lists a bit more, especially the Nature Cleric.

Druid - Make reduced caster. Change Wildshape to use templates based on druid level/proficiency bonus like the Tasha's summons and primal beasts do, and give more uses.

Fighter - make maneuvers the core of the class. Reduce number of attacks and raw damage potential, but give a wide variety of special capabilities. These will include buffs and extra abilities for allies, inflicting conditions on opponents, and out-of combat capabilities. Think Warblade from Bo9S. Allow some subclasses to use magic like Monk and Swordmage.

Monk - Folded into Fighter. "Martial Artist" is currently the core identity of two classes at the moment and doesn't need to be.

Paladin - Remove Divine Smite. Remove concentration requirement on all smite spells. Make Wisdom caster. (Really tempted to fold this into a couple of other classes, but there are enough differences to leave out.

Ranger - This class would be too similar to a Fighter or Rogue with outdoorsy skills and abilities. - Changed (and possibly renamed) to a pet class that defines basic capabilities for a class with companion(s) and some spellcasting. This will have subclasses that completely define the concept such as a necromancer, construct maker, or primal nature companion.

Rogue - Remove weapon restrictions to sneak attack. Allow them to get special use out of skills that they have expertise in.

Sorceror - Give extra metamagic points to, but possibly remove their ability to just trade them in for extra spells. Allow some choice of casting ability. Give a few additional spells by giving chains of spells with specific themes that the sorceror can cast from metamagic points like the current Aberrant mind. Clarify that not all sorcerors tap into Arcane magic.

Warlock - Rein in Eldritch Blast/Agonising blast as a base ability, but allow subclasses to modify it. Make Intelligence-based, although some subclasses may allow other abilities.

Wizard - Possibly reduce their overall spell list so they aren't poaching from every other class in the game quite so badly. Reduce total number of spells memorised by a little, but allow Arcane Recovery to change some spells as well as regaining slots. Change spell school-based subclasses to give more tangible benefits when casting a spell from the preferred school.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I'd rework them thusly:

1. I'd have only four "core" classes. These would be the foundation that the rest of the character would be built on, and would set things like Saving Throws, proficiencies, and spell slots. (These names are place-holders, I'm sure they will come up with more iconic/traditional ones.)
  • Warrior (martial-focused)
  • Sneak (skill-focused)
  • Mage (full caster)
  • Priest (half caster)
2. Then I'd have dozens of interchangeable subclasses. You would pick your subclass at 1st level, and apply it to the framework of your choice. This would set class-specific things like sneak attack, spell lists, turning undead, etc. A Warrior with the Barbarian subclass would play much like a Berserker, while a Priest with the Barbarian subclass would play a lot like a Wild Magic barbarian, for example.

It's a bit of a call-back to the "kits" of old.
I like this a lot. A LOT.

Like Level Up has done, I'd weave some social and exploration features in among the combat features.

Horwath

Legend
Hmm. OK.
Part-casters: I would up the access to spells for part-casters. Current 1/3rd casters I would probably give current 1/2 casting progression to. Current 1/2 casters would probably get up to level 7 spells (2/3rds caster), although not as many as full casters.
I would also change the (unwritten) rule that subclasses cannot take away features of the base class.
Several classes would have a major decision point in addition to subclass choice in the same way that warlocks get their Pact and subclass.
I agree, that in current form there is room to return the 2/3rd casters, and 1/3 casters would be moved to 2/5th casters(slightly better, still cap at 4th level spells.

so

full casters(or 2/2), spell levels every 2 levels, at: 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19(yes, add 10th level spells)
2/3rd casters: spell levels every 3 levels, at: 1,4,7,10,13,16,19
half casters; spell levels every 4 levels, at: 2,5,9,13,17
2/5th casters: spell levels every 5 levels, at: 3,6,11,16

2/3rd casters could be: bard, druid(make moon druid default wildshape to compensate for lower spells), and warlock. Maybe even artificer.
If we reduce sorcerer to 2/3rd caster with buff to metamagic and bloodline powers with d8 HD, that would leave only Wizard and Cleric as full casters. Nothing wrong with that. Dump clerics HD to d6, they have armor and healing.

Oofta

Legend
I would just have more powerful bows, depending on STR rating, I would still keep precision(bonus to attack and damage) tied to dex.
For pure STR ranged option, we should get little buff to thrown weapons(more damage, little more range)

For bows, we could have:
str n/a: 1d4, range 60/240
str 8: 1d6, range 110/440
str 10: 1d8, range 150/600
str 14: 1d10, range 190/760
str 18: 1d12, range 230/920
str 20: 2d6, range 250/1000
I used to do something similar but rnded up just making them finesse weapons to keep it simple. Longbow should be strength based (keep shortbows dex) but that goes against too much fiction.

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Probably rework some classes and subclasses like I've done for my own home games.

Rangers would get something similar to either my own reworks or Tasha's stuff as part of the base class. A few tweaks to the PHB subclasses.
Fighter's Indomitable needs a buff, and some of the subclasses reworked.
Barbarian has a few subclasses that need a rework.
Sorcerer subclasses could use a rework as well, mostly to give bonus spells to pre-Tasha subclasses.
Monk needs something, but I'm not really sure what that is honestly.

I'd like some way to rework overland travel to be more interesting, and maybe some modular rule options for different styles of game.

Barbarians, Paladins, and Rangers would have the same attacks as the Fighter, and the Champion would be souped up a bit...
I'm not sure why anyone would choose to play a Fighter at high levels in this instance.

Remove ads