• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What If...?

Janx

Hero
Saw the latest episode with T'Challa.

Good to see Chadwick Boseman one more time.

But it felt like a huge suck up to how awesome T'Challa was. They literally sat around talking about awesome he is. The universe/galaxy is actually better, much better with T'Challa as Starlord. Even Wakanda was fine with him gone.

I don't want to over emphasize that, it just stood out at how much time they spent on that, which went more than just showing ways he's better than Peter Quill (who the showed mopping at a McJob).

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Re: Peggy
The super serum doesn't stop aging, and Peggy clearly hasn't aged much of if at all. My guess would be a "time moves differently" situation, so I doubt she spent nearly as much time on the other side as it would seem.

I mean, how much time did Janet spend in the quantum zone without any notable impact on her sanity?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Two episodes in and I’m really enjoying the series. It really captures much of the fanciful awesomeness of the What If…? comics.

Stalker0

Legend
Saw the latest episode with T'Challa.

Good to see Chadwick Boseman one more time.

But it felt like a huge suck up to how awesome T'Challa was. They literally sat around talking about awesome he is. The universe/galaxy is actually better, much better with T'Challa as Starlord. Even Wakanda was fine with him gone.

I don't want to over emphasize that, it just stood out at how much time they spent on that, which went more than just showing ways he's better than Peter Quill (who the showed mopping at a McJob).
hehe no kidding, he literally convinced Thanos not to snap half the universe!

I did enjoy it though, because really..... Quill sucks ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I got that too. But...

She followed some incomprehensible being of limitless malevolence into its dimension where time and space mean nothing. In those scenarios, there is no happy ending for the hero. Even if they save the world, it comes at the cost of their sanity. When the captain of the Alert stopped Cthulhu, he wound up insane afterward.

The major difference being... this is not the Lovecraft Universe. It is the Marvel Universe. It is not a universe of cosmic horror. It lacks the basic precept that humans are inconsequential. Quite the opposite, in fact, the Marvel Universe is one of humanism, elevating the potential and agency of the characters, rather than starting from a position that their actions mean nothing.

So... it was a giant tentacle monster. Dangerous. Maybe a threat to the world. But not a thing that drives true heroes mad.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
hehe no kidding, he literally convinced Thanos not to snap half the universe!

I did enjoy it though, because really..... Quill sucks ;)
Whats terrifying is what Dairy Queen janitor Quill might become if he gets the power of Ego.
The Collector became a major villain who has collected (killed?) Hela, Thor, Captain America and Malekith. Now we have Ego-Quill rising to power without the anchor of Yondu - is he going to be the big bad of the metaplot?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ok... so there's the Sacred Timeline. And anything that diverges from the Sacred Timeline gets pruned. And anyone pruned goes to the End of Time.

One would assume that Captain Carter and T'Challa Starlord are Variants.

So shouldn't they be at the End of Time? Or have they been eaten by Alioth? Or have they foiled the TVA's attempts at pruning?

This takes place in the universe after the death of He Who Remains. There is no more sacred timeline. There's a bazillion branches to reality, and the TVA, under new management, is now unable or has not yet managed to prune them all. Presumably Season 2 includes Loki keeping it that way.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Yes, well, in a half-hour episode, sometimes you need the blunt force of the direct and explicitly stated contrast - original Quill talked himself up, bragged, called himself Starlord, and folks dismissed him as a fool (because at the start of his movie, he is a fool). This is contrasted with T'Challa, who is no fool, is awesome, and everyone knows it, but he's humble about it, and tries to say he's not a lord..

And yeah, it looks like the universe is better off... until Ego finds Quill, and, well, we don't get to see how that ends, but it may not be pretty.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yes, well, in a half-hour episode, sometimes you need the blunt force of the direct and explicitly stated contrast - original Quill talked himself up, bragged, called himself Starlord, and folks dismissed him as a fool (because at the start of his movie, he is a fool). This is contrasted with T'Challa, who is no fool, is awesome, and everyone knows it, but he's humble about it, and tries to say he's not a lord..

And yeah, it looks like the universe is better off... until Ego finds Quill, and, well, we don't get to see how that ends, but it may not be pretty.
The big plot hole for me is that T’Challa is the son of the king of Wakanda, his responsibility wasnt just to family it was to the People of Wakanda, so even if he thought his family had been killed in a war, a truely awesome T’Challa would have returned to Earth to try and find any survivors. His choosing to remain in the stars was selfishness - but the story ignores that and instead outright portrays him as a near perfect paragon

Remove ads