What If...?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
True . . . but it still strains credulity for me that America would go to war over two murders, one military on an off-the-books mission, the other a civilian contractor, even with strong evidence of Wakandan guilt.
Not just a military contractor, the most significant one ever. Plus, there's the idea that there'd be vibranium as war booty. It's not like we haven't gone to war or destabilized regimes for the potential economic benefits before.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Not just a military contractor, the most significant one ever. Plus, there's the idea that there'd be vibranium as war booty. It's not like we haven't gone to war or destabilized regimes for the potential economic benefits before.
yeah, I was going to say this too, there's nothing incredulous about the idea of the US going to war with 3rd world nations on very little evidence for economic gain

Ryujin

Legend
Not sure where the comments about Wakanda being a Third World nation are coming from. Is that based solely on the public face they were projecting to the world at large? Because they were far from a Third World nation.

Not sure where the comments about Wakanda being a Third World nation are coming from. Is that based solely on the public face they were projecting to the world at large? Because they were far from a Third World nation.
Indeed before they revealed themselves, that is the face they showed. One of the bonus features on The Black Panther home release is a before tourism video showing what one would think of as Thrid world.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
yeah, I was going to say this too, there's nothing incredulous about the idea of the US going to war with 3rd world nations on very little evidence for economic gain

This would not be going to war with a 3rd world nation, because "world" in this context is in terms of socioeconomic development, and I am sure Wakanda would qualify as 1st world... if not 0th World).

However, we should note that nobody knows the real Wakanda exists at the time this takes place. There's a visible front of a few farmers for appearances, but the real nation of Wakanda, inside the shield, is secret from the world at large. Moreover, no living US troops were involved. People who are not known to exist will find it hard to lodge a protest when the US goes, "What city? What troops? Who are you people?!?"

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
There are rumors that Wakanda is more than it seems, but the Wakandans work hard to give the world the impression they are a small, third-world, developing nation. Of course, the truth is much different, but the US doesn't know that (yet).

Dire Bare

Legend
I might have to watch the episode again, but . . . did they mention, "Hey, this is a great excuse to invade Wakanda for all that vibranium!"? The only motivation I picked up on for the invasion was Rhodes and Stark's murders.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I might have to watch the episode again, but . . . did they mention, "Hey, this is a great excuse to invade Wakanda for all that vibranium!"? The only motivation I picked up on for the invasion was Rhodes and Stark's murders.
Not in the episode, but Wakanda having a huge load of Vibranium but not being willing to sell it openly is something we know from the movies (Caps Shield being the only significant quantity of the stuff outside Wakanda until Klaw stole his load).

Remove ads