D&D (2024) What innovative elements from Baldur's Gate 3 would you like to see implimented in 2024 D&D?

What innovative elements from Baldur's Gate 3 would you like to see implimented in 2024 D&D?

I like the weapon powers.

Not for PHB, but for a Forgotten Realms Campaign Book having the Tadpole Skill tree could be really cool.

Being able to punch things with mage hand would be great. I love that Thaurmagy actually does something useful instead of being just a pure ribbon effects, same for stuff like Druidcraft.

I'd mixed the changes to the Illusionist starting feature with the BG3 version, having both wouldn't be unbalanced.

surface mechanics would be awesome, but maybe DMG territory.

Some of the new cool magic items would be great too.

What innovative elements from Baldur's Gate 3 would you like to see implimented in 2024 D&D?

Not for PHB, but for a Forgotten Realms Campaign Book having the Tadpole Skill tree could be really cool.

Being able to punch things with mage hand would be great. I love that Thaurmagy actually does something useful instead of being just a pure ribbon effects, same for stuff like Druidcraft.

I'd mixed the changes to the Illusionist starting feature with the BG3 version, having both wouldn't be unbalanced.

Mage hand is a difficult one. Once you get into the punch category, some of it needs to be codified in the rules. And to codify it, it becomes a lengthy process. If you just say it can punch things, then it becomes a "Dm may I?" situation. The same applies to thaumaturgy.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter

I also love the short rest/encounter powers that are weapon properties. Some are action and some are bonus actions. The would add a lot of dice rolls to a combat.

Why? It’s an unarmed strike at range. Done.
If you make it an unarmed strike, and it can be used to manipulate objects, and it can be used to pilfer or reach into places - then it becomes a "must have" spell. One that is significantly better than all other cantrips. The point of cantrips should has never been to do everything, but rather one thing semi-well.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If you make it an unarmed strike, and it can be used to manipulate objects, and it can be used to pilfer or reach into places - then it becomes a "must have" spell. One that is significantly better than all other cantrips. The point of cantrips should has never been to do everything, but rather one thing semi-well.
Hardly. A cantrip that has utility and lets you do 1+Str mod damage as an action is not particularly powerful, outside the utility.

If you can get more damage out of it, it’s because you invested in unarmed strike specialization, in which case what’s the issue? Monks have a good option for Magic Initiate? Oh no!
If it can unarmed strike from a distance, why can't it wield a sword?
Because the rules say so who cares? I’d be fine letting it weild a light weapon.

Remove ads