What IP would you like to see as an RPG?

TheHand

Adventurer
Godzilla + the whole Tohoverse (Heck throw in Monsterverse too). It'd probably be a mess to get the licensing... and then even if you did, I think only me and 2 others would want to play it :p

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Godzilla + the whole Tohoverse (Heck throw in Monsterverse too). It'd probably be a mess to get the licensing... and then even if you did, I think only me and 2 others would want to play it :p
…Another player has entered the game…

I seriously thought about that, but I was at a loss to imagine how an RPG campaign for that would work. A board game, OTOH, could be run all kinds of ways.

TheHand

Adventurer
…Another player has entered the game…
One of us... one of us...

So I found they tend to work best as one-shots or mini-campaigns, usually with a Destroy All Monsters type of theme. I have the players control the human investigators trying to solve the macguffin, which triggers different monster attacks... which I also let the players control for those scenes (yes, technically they're working against themselves, but big monster smash!). Other times I've given them Mecha- to pilot, depending on the story I'm running.
(I've homebrewed various game engines, including Call of Cthulhu to make it work, but I haven't found the Godzilla-Unicorn rpg system yet!)

I seriously thought about that, but I was at a loss to imagine how an RPG campaign for that would work.
As far a as a campaign, I've imagined the idea of something like a more serious take on the old Hanna-Barbera cartoon, a group of traveling Kaiju investigators with some means to summon/attract monsters. OR the newer 90s Godzilla cartoon would probably work as another format.

A board game, OTOH, could be run all kinds of ways.

Oh we've got that too!
A couple of pics (sorry for poor quality) from a homebrew board-game I cobbled together over the years as a labor of love. We tend to bust it out for my birthday once a year. I stole parts from other Kaiju games, Japanese candy-toys, military wargames, and even the venerable Battleship. The goal of the game is to smash buildings, fight other Kaiju, survive the random events, and collect points for doing it.

gzilla-bgame1.jpg
gzilla-bgame2.jpg

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'd love something like Homeland. A more modern take on clandestine operations and stories. Something with a real nice interrogation sequence where the outcome could go either way and the player's gotta respect that and act on the info. Would take a real certain type of player to buy into this. A lot of folks dont like their "hero" to be wrong or lack the ability to power move out of any danger. Though, I think cloak and dagger always has a fog of war that the audience gets to see through. That gives it excitement when the plans go well, but dread when they fail.

I'd say something way lighter than D20, 5E reskin, etc.. Something more along the lines of Free League games like Alien. Instead of a gamist/sim design, it is more of a narrativst experience for a specific genre, in this case, spy stories.

Remove ads