• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is a cambion? What about a yugaloth?

Zappo

Explorer
Weird. I thought that cambions were the offspring of a demon and a human female, while alu-fiends were the offspring of a human male and a demon (usually a succubus). I seem to remember reading this in some Planescape product, but I can very well be wrong.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Zappo said:
alu-fiends were the offspring of a human male and a demon (usually a succubus)

ISTR that an alu-fiend was strictly the offspring of a human male and a succubus -- in other words, a cambion was a generic half-fiend, while an alu-fiend was a specific sub-type.

-- N

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Zappo said:
Weird. I thought that cambions were the offspring of a demon and a human female, while alu-fiends were the offspring of a human male and a demon (usually a succubus). I seem to remember reading this in some Planescape product, but I can very well be wrong.

According to the Tome of Horrors, which is primarily based off of 1e sources, alu-fiends are the female offspring of a union between succubi and human males. Cambions are the male offspring of an incubus and a human female.

According to the Planescape Monstrous Compedium, alu-fiends are the female offspring of a succubus (presumably including incubi) and a human. Cambions are the male offspring of any (presumably non succubus) tanar'ri and a female human.

And my thread got a link as a sample of yugoloths! Thanks!

Demiurge out.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well they are pretty decent ones since you went the GR route Demi.

In any case if anyone needs more PS info, I'd ask Shem or Brannon Hollingston(sp).

Psion

Adventurer
Staffan said:
At least in AD&D, they are. Female half-demons are called "Alu-demons". I'm pretty sure there's a 3e version of both in Tome of Horrors, BTW.

If you use that as a reference, you may want to photocopy an old MMII or PSMC picture of an alu-fiend and paste it over the awful pic in the ToH. ;)

VirgilCaine

First Post
ValamirCleaver said:
In the 1E AD&D Monster Manual II, page 37, a cambion is described as the male offspring of a demon and a human female. This can be approximated in 3.xE by applying the half-fiend template to a chaotic evil human male character.

"Unlike their "sisters", the alu-demons, cambions are always male."

Somewhere I found 3E stats for them. Thats one of the things in the description.

Nitpick Dep't:
The cambion appeared before the AD&D MM2.
Let's see, Iuz is a cambion (pretty much THE cambion), and I believe he appears in the 1980 WoG Folio - but is his descent given therein? Don't recall. Any earlier cambion sightings?

Here's something heretofore unmentioned in this thread:
The cambion and the daemons are both the creations of Mr. Gygax. Salut!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads