D&D 5E What is a good replacement for Darkvision?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
th.jpeg
Television.

Erik Westmarch

First Post
I would just convert non-Dwarves to Low Light Vision, by deleting the red text below from Darkvision

Low Light Vision. Accustomed to twilit forests and the night sky, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Al2O3

Explorer
I would just convert non-Dwarves to Low Light Vision, by deleting the red text below from Darkvision

Low Light Vision. Accustomed to twilit forests and the night sky, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Personally I would remove a little more text, as shown below. Also, I would probably check the darkness rules and allow a few more things as dim light rather than darkness. Most nights with a clear sky should probably be dim light.

Skickat från min Nexus 6 via Tapatalk

Jediking

Explorer
Even seeing a whole bunch of (somewhat) repetitive threads about Darkvision, I am consistently impressed with the answers provided and get a new idea every time.

Personally Darkvision hasn't been an issue for my table, I play up the DIM part of it and give disadvantage on Perception checks (traps/creatures are much harder to see). Some tools see more use than others and I compare them to a skill (poisoner's, thieves', herbalism), but YMMV. I agree that a skill is too much, but a tool or language may be good.

Horwath

Legend
Darkvision still gives penalty to perception. So your players will still suffer majority of traps/ambushes if they do not have any light source(except with skulker feat, but thats the point of feats).

I would rank darvision as half a feat(atleast), and as I see skilled feat too weak(would give it 4 skills instead of 3). Darkvision would be worth 2 skills/tools.

Also a feat for humans/halfling/some race that by accident doesn't have darkvision;
Darkvision: prereq, proficiency in perception. Gain darkvision for 60ft, +1 to any ability.

Remove ads