What is a Jaded Player?

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Among the vast virtual halls of EnWorld...I would like to know from one's own experiences. What are the tell-tale signs of recognizing a jaded player.

And second, what methods were used to solve and or end the jadeness?

Your Thoughts...please.

dagger

Adventurer
I am looking foward to breaking a Staff of Power of my 20th level wizards knee when we get to the end of Shackled City Path. I might be jaded, not sure.

JustKim

First Post
Analyzing the play/DM styles of one's fellow players/DMs and discussing the merits and shortcomings of these styles, while paying nowhere near this amount of attention to the game through the characters' eyes.

I couldn't tell you how to solve this problem.

Talmun

First Post
Changing PC's every other session or so, in a vain attempt to stave off boredom.

I had a player once who would start a new PC, which would have a great backstory and be role-played really well. Within a week or two the character/player would degenerate into sarcasm and bitterness and finally the PC would commit suicide, usually by attacking another player or an obviously high-level NPC. This would be followed by a week or two absence by the player, then he'd be back with another character and the cycle would start all over again.

I more-or-less allowed this to happen because I liked the guy, and he had been a really good player and DM once. It's a shame, really.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The player that has a story; about every game, every DM, every player is a bad story, it is not a fun story but how bad it was, what was done wrong, what issues they were...so on.

Oryan77

Adventurer
The DM puts hours of work into his game each week only to have a player critisize it and compare his style of DMing to previous DM's they've had.

Expecting the DM to be perfect and give all the focus on that PC every session even though there's 3 other players needing attention and the DM is only human after all.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
A jaded player/dm is one that is no longer satisfied with the status-quo. The solution is to take a break & do other things other than d&d with your friends. Afterwards, maybe a month or two later get everyone to sit around and brainstorm the good & bad things about the previous game, & hopefully come up with a better gaming style.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Truth Seeker said:
What are the tell-tale signs of recognizing a jaded player.

He's not participating in anything really. Sitting there, rolling when he's asked to, but otherwise just running with the herd, I mean, party. In a combat, he'll just bash the enemy until he dies. Will not remember any campaign details - even when they were pretty big and revealed at the very same evening. A lot of off-topic talk (more than usual). Doing other stuff while gaming (playing GameBoy, reading someting, watching TV).

diaglo

Adventurer
Kae'Yoss said:
He's not participating in anything really. Sitting there, rolling when he's asked to, but otherwise just running with the herd, I mean, party. In a combat, he'll just bash the enemy until he dies. Will not remember any campaign details - even when they were pretty big and revealed at the very same evening. A lot of off-topic talk (more than usual). Doing other stuff while gaming (playing GameBoy, reading someting, watching TV).

good points.

jaded: exhausted, dulled by experience or by surfeit....

been there done that. bored now with it.

Remove ads