What is A Mountain?

Zardnaar

Legend
There are plenty of people die on hills (such as the aforementioned Peak District) if they venture forth with only shorts and a water bottle.

In 1984 we had several die on the silver peaks.

Cold snap, exposed, windy. Spring snow through to October isn't unknown.

4 seasons in one day here is exactly that. You can go from nice sunny day to crap and back in a few hours.

They close the great walks over winter. We only go up to around 500 metres the tracks not the best in places very rugged.

In 1984 we had several die on the silver peaks.

Cold snap, exposed, windy. Spring snow through to October isn't unknown.

They close the great walks over winter.
Peak District has caves, disused mineshafts, peat bogs and fog.

We had someone get stuck in a peat bog one time. It wasn't deep enough to drown in, but if they had been alone there was no way they were getting themselves out.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
There are plenty of people die on hills (such as the aforementioned Peak District) if they venture forth with only shorts and a water bottle.

so my point about hills still stands, I've been to the Peak District and though there arent many true mountains, its moors and gorges more than make up for it - moorland is terrifying! I'd certainly not venture across it unprepared.

As I said earlier I live in an alpine area, so might be more discerning of what I'd consider a hill vs a ridge vs a mountain vs 'ranges'

Last edited:

The large visiting population of non-local 50+ y/o British males with very gung-ho and dismissive attitudes re: such wimpy concepts as "preparation", "safety", "common sense", "weather", "appropriate clothing" and so on I suspect accounts for a majority of the casualties.

Zardnaar

Legend
The large visiting population of non-local 50+ y/o British males with very gung-ho and dismissive attitudes re: such wimpy concepts as "preparation", "safety", "common sense", "weather", "appropriate clothing" and so on I suspect accounts for a majority of the casualties.

There's tgat aspect bit a lot of people don't think about consequences.

Here is often tourists. Once you go into the ocean or up a big enough hill or mountain you're essentially in deepest darkest Africa but people don't think like that.

Here its drummed into us from very young age.

So tourists go swimming at beaches with rips or wearing floatation devices they used in a pool they can't really swim properly.

We had one guy killed because they wanted a photo OP at the bottom of a glacier. They climbed over the safety barrier to get near the glacier and go killed by falling ice.

Few years back we had that incident at white island with it erupting with tourists in the crater party on us as well with the tourism operators.

There's only 3 beaches I would swim at locally. And I've been in the ocean since age 3 or 4.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I asked my geologist friend this years ago ... And it's just a word without requirement, which surprised me.

Now that I live out West, I'm often conflicted.... Those low things don't seem like mountains, until I try to hike them... And compare them to surrounding land.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
When I was a firefighter in Mendocino we had a ex-navy seal drown off the headlands, it is marked there as being dangerous. One thing people should also remember is that it also endangers to lives of emergency personnel to try and rescue people who go in.

Zardnaar

Legend
20231116_094813.jpg

Hiking up there on Saturday weather permitting.

Not sure if we are doing it the easy way or hard way.

Remove ads