• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is a Rogue to do in an undead-heavy campaign?

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
My advice: multiclass.

Alternately, see if you can get your DM to approve a core class that lets you execute your character concept without the heavy design reliance on sneak attack. Possibilities include the akashic or unfettered from Arcana Unearthed, the delver from Path of Shadow, or even (slightly modified) the maverick from Deadlands d20. If you hadn't just recently played a psion I'd also suggest a savant as an alternative (particularly nice since it gets you sever the tie on your key ability along with all those roguish skills).

I don't usually go in for variant core classes, but this is a situation which could warrant it. If the DM is really going for all undead, all the time, then the PHB doesn't really give quite the niche for a generalized core skill-user that it might.

Mista Collins

First Post
The Cartwheel Charge would not allow you to deal sneak attack damage to undead. I don't know of anything that does allow you to deal sneak attack damage to undead, but it appears that there is something out there. So if you got whatever it is that is out there that allows you to do that, then Cartwheel Charge, essentially you would be able to. But Cartwheel Charge all by itself would not let you do sneak attack damage to anything that is immune to criticals (undead, oozes, constructs, etc.)

Maybe your DM will let you create a prestige class that will allow you to deal sneak attack to undead. The ability could be called Disable undead and you would be able to deal sneak attack damage based on busting the skeleton in the knee cap. :D I am only half-serious about something like this. I think the concept is funny.

Kyramus

First Post
sneak attack is not the only thing on a rogue's bag of tricks.

Use magic device is another.

Mainly, if you are fighting undead and you are a rogue, you'd go for missile and broad weapons.

Throw materials more than melee because of high dex. Invest in point blank shot and precise shot and throw bolas around a skeleton's feet that your friend is fighting.

Turn around and chuck a holy water granade, pull out a light crossbow and stake someone to the wall, etc.

The rogue would be the source of the most unexpected tactic, cause he needs it.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Well I don't know if your DM will allow it, but there's a feat in the Kalamar player's guide that allow you to pick a creature type that is immune to crits and be able to crit and sneak attack said creatures. It's called finding the secrets. The only problem is it requires a BAB of +9 (pretty steep for a rogue) and 6 ranks in knowledge: monsters (detailed in the book). If you're in playing in 3.5 picking up some ranger levels and picking undead as your favored enemy is your best bet.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Kyramus said:
sneak attack is not the only thing on a rogue's bag of tricks.

Sure, but it is one of his strongest class abilities, if not in fact his strongest.

If you're playing in a campaign where you can expect to rarely get to use it (as it sounds like might be the case here), that seems like a great reason to try to execute the same character concept with some other class that would not lose its best class ability.

colinfit20

Explorer
Reg: A Rogue against the Undead

The 0th level spell I believe the e-mail was referring to was Disrupt Undead and whilst it only does 1d6 damage against undead (and only undead) it is only one of a number of spells that can be of use.
Another is Bless Weapon which belongs to Paladins' alone (and that is criminal in itself since it deserves to be on a cleric's list along with all those spells you only get if you have the right domain list) which automatically inflicts a critical on an evil foe and like bless has a special effect on the undead.
Another choice would be Hide from Undead notably once known as Invisibility to Undead which would be really handy if you don't want to attack them directly just leave useful little puddles of holy water in your wake and since you aren't attacking it doesn't leave you visible after making an actual attack would.
That works best against mindless undead, the smarter ones would have the sense to have at least detect magic up and running IF they had any sense (which contradicts why some willingly became undead, the only reason I can think of is the removal of Potions of Longevity from the magical item list.).
Then there's Magical Weapon, a 1st level spell available to Cleric's and Wizards which can either enchant one melee weapon or up to 50 missile weapons...caltrops anyone?
A long time ago in a game I was running a cleric in we came up with a devastating anti-undead move which involved the casting of Create Water with Bless Water unfortunately I believe they made sure this couldn't be repeated but it still remains a favourite memory of mine next to performing a group high-orbital parachute jump in Dreamlands Call of Cthulhu but musn't get off track.
A good idea would be to stand beside or even better behind the cleric and use your crossbow/bow/sling to pepper any undead approaching since if the cleric can't turn them at least you're in a better position to point out they should have heeded your request for that certain enchanted weapon do I need to say "BANE" weapon?
You might want to pass that idea on about having the cleric cover the floor in front with a create water spell then bless the darn thing, it will certainly make things interesting if the GM allows it!

Murazor

First Post
Multi-classing is a good option.
What you could try to do is to try and go for one of the Rogue/Cleric hybrid prestige classes, and take the Razing Strike feat (from Complete Adventurer). This feat allows you to sacrifice one of your spells as a swift action, and for the duration of 1 full round to get a bonus to hit and damage equal to the sacrificed spell's level and allows you to sneak attack undead creatures.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Best advice for this case is: lots of UMD and a wand of grave strike from CADV, it's a swift action, for one round you can sneak attack undead.

It will cost a lot of money replenishing the wand though, luckily a 1st level spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads