• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is and isn't Space Opera?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I already said I felt the scale was appropriate. I think the characters and action are understated, and the pacing far too slow for space opera. LotRs aims for gravitas, rather than pulpiness, which makes it a poor fit for Space Opera.
That's a thin hair of difference for me. Which is why these genre conversations can be difficult, but also interesting to have. I dont care if you or I are right, I just enjoy discussing it.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Well, pity me then because I do not like the fantasy genre. Dont get me wrong, my motto is "dont knock it until you rock it", but as far as literature goes, fantasy is almost always a disappointment to me. I let Game of Thrones, probably the best fantasy I have read, sit on the shelf for 10 years because I dont like the genre that much.

Folks just have convention tastes as well. It can be a very well written story, but if folks dont like westerns, horror, fantasy, space opera, etc..., they wont dig it anyways.
Yeah, sorry if that came off a bit harsh. I was more referring to literary snobs who wouldn't lower themselves to read genre fiction etc.

And yes, I'm not a big fantasy guy myself. Kind of odd that I enjoy fantasy roleplaying, but as fiction to read it usually bores the socks of me. With exceptions of course, don't anyone dare to say a bad word about the sweet Felix & Gotrek cheese 8-P

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
My post was meant as tongue in cheek. Hand on heart, I couldn't care less about what people who don't like science fiction think about science fiction and it's subgenres. Well, almost :)

Sci-fi has been looked down upon during most of it's existence as a defined genre, even though it's more and more accepted at academies etc. And that's ok for me. I think that people who don't read sci-fi out of snobbery are lacking imagination and curiousity, and they think that I'm a tasteless geek. That's ok too. It's even more ok that my library includes a good part of the literary canon and Nobel prize winners, so I can smack them on the head if they deserve it ;-)
Sorry if this post came out bad, didn't mean to insult anyone. It's just something I've experienced a lot and is very, very tired of. But I try to formulate myself better :)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah, sorry if that came off a bit harsh. I was more referring to literary snobs who wouldn't lower themselves to read genre fiction etc.

And yes, I'm not a big fantasy guy myself. Kind of odd that I enjoy fantasy roleplaying, but as fiction to read it usually bores the socks of me. With exceptions of course, don't anyone dare to say a bad word about the sweet Felix & Gotrek cheese 8-P
It's all good. People have their quirks. A friend of mine is the "have to find it myself" type. He wont read books that more than 1 person recommends to him. "Too popular to be good" he says. I dont even know what that means?

Ixal

Hero
This thread reminds me of the old Wing Commander games where the intro literally started with a opera orchestra getting ready to play.

Remove ads