What is/are your most recent TTRPG purchase(s)?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
My copy of the special Jennell Jaquays cover of By Mitra's Hand, Meet Thy Doom! arrived in the mail Friday, but that's misleading since I ordered it back in early February. But I backed the 10th Anniversary edition of Cats of Catthulhu on Kickstarter a few hours before its campaign ended, so that's actually my most recent purchase.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So having backed Load Crew Crafts' Complete Waifu Handbook on Kickstarter a while back, I recently got around to looking at the WIP file they've made available to backers via Google Docs. After being pleasantly surprised at how inspired the mechanics were, I noticed at the end of the document that there were some ads for previous works of theirs...including the Ki Master + Mythic Path MEGA BUNDLE over on their website, which after some perusing I picked up.

I'm pleased to say that I'm quite happy with my purchase. This is a combination of three previous works (where the first two are now a single file, and the third remains its own separate PDF), all for PF1, which (as even a casual glance at the sales page will show) are focused around presenting options that are heavily inspired by Dragon Ball Z, though there's a few small nods towards other popular shonen series as well, such as One Piece and Bleach.

What surprised me most was the heavy use of psionics here, largely because those present a point system whereby players can allocate resources (in the form of psionic power points) to represent the finite pools of ki that DBZ-style characters draw upon not just to power attacks, but also transformations, etc. While I can understand the decision to rely on psionics for this, and think that it's justified, it's still feels a bit weird that the actual mechanics for ki in PF1 were eschewed (though not ignored; the files do have options for that, along with a lot of other PF1 classes and abilities).

I should mention that there were a few slip-ups, mostly technical (e.g. a few page number references no longer matching the pagination), from merging the first two files into one. The biggest (non-technical) issue was that they elected to keep the "space warrior" race from the first product alongside the "wu-kong" race from the second, both of which are saiyans, and which are almost word-for-word the same. They do explain their reasoning in the introduction, but it didn't feel necessary.

Overall, though, it's a great deal if you're looking to make your PF1 game feel more like a shonen anime, particularly with regard to the mythic options. The books always make sure to put the PF1 rules first, so they're focused on usability more than fidelity to what's in the series, but it's rare when they have to compromise the latter in favor of the former by very much (notwithstanding the degree of power; don't expect to find rules for shattering planets).

Also, the artwork here is notable for how reminiscent it is of the late, great Akira Toriyama's. Just seeing it really brought a tear to my eye!

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
Technically, my most recent RPG purchase was a set of index cards and a roll of Con*Tact paper, with which I make initiative cards for use with my D&D 3.5 campaign. Every PC, monster, and significant NPC gets an initiative card, which is an image I get online (usually from a Google Images search), scaled to the size of a standard playing card (3.39 inches by 2.25 inches, with rounded corners), glued to the back of a ruled index card, cut out again, the name gets added to the back of the card, and then I cover it in Con*Tact paper on both sides and cut it out a third time, this time leaving about a 1/8" border beyond the card. The initiative cards allow me to show the players what their PCs see, and then once we roll for initiative I can "build my deck" and know exactly whose turn it is each round. Once the creature corresponding to the top card has completed their actions, the card goes to the bottom of the pile; if someone readies an action, their card gets turned sideways so I can tell they still have that readied action that can be sprung at any time (and once the readied action occurs, the card gets reoriented the normal way). It's a system we developed when 3.0 came out with cyclical initiative, and it's worked really well for us. And best of all, once the PCs have met up with a monster or an NPC I have the card for the rest of our gaming life. (I currently have seven plastic index card holder boxes filled with initiative cards in alphabetical order.)

Johnathan

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
How is Be Like a Crow? It looks really fun.
Haven't actually played it yet, but as a corvid enthusiast, I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot. I snapped up the expansions as soon as I saw they were available in retail, since the price was right, content seemed amusing, and I was concerned that stock available to Canadian distributors might be limited.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Picked up a copy of Lost Atlanteans (affiliate link), from Bloodstone Press, recently.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it. While I was a little surprised to see that this wasn't part of their Amazons vs. Valkyries product line (since a "sunken Atlantis" background would fit right in there), I had little doubt that this would be a worthwhile purchase. I've bought enough books by Beth Jones now to know that she doesn't disappoint.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Paradigms of Skill, by Jesse Mullins, from Plant Witch Press. It's provides a 1-6 (1d6) range of Critical Success and Critical Failure results for all of the 5E and A5E skills. It's $5 on DriveThruRPG.

I like it! I want to re-write a few things just to suit my tastes. It's kind of uncanny that this product was brought to my attention when it was (thanks, @PJ Coffey , for mentioning it on the podcast!), because I was just recently waxing nostalgic about the old Rolemaster skill result tables.

Remove ads