• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is/are your most recent TTRPG purchase(s)?

Dumnbunny

Explorer
dark tower.jpeg

I recently snagged the DCC conversion of The Dark Tower, having missed the Kickstarter, and I'm very happy with it. It includes the original dungeon as published in 1979, which makes this the third copy I own, lol! But it's a great module, and it's worth owning a third copy to get the included essays as well as the other two volumes.

The second book is a DCC conversion of the module (a 5e conversion is also available, but I don't play or run 5e), which is very nicely done (I gotta think the conversion to DCC was easier than to 5e, but that's just my assumption, I could be wrong). The third book includes three followup scenarios for The Dark Tower. I'm very excited about running all of this!

Paizo shipped my subscription order for the new PF2e rule book “Howl of the Wild”, as well as this month’s AP chapter “Severed at the Root”. The timing works out great because I’m heading out of town to Texas for a work trip Monday so I’ll spend the flight digging into the PDF of HotW.

2d20 Achtung! Cthulhu Starter Box, D-Day, and Forest of Fear.

I bought them to use for Savage Worlds (or maybe GURPS) but I might have to give 2d20 another shot.

The Multiclasser Manual vol. 1 from Purple Martin Games for Level Up. I got the PDF last night from Drive Thru RPG.com. For me this PDF addresses one problem I have had with regards to Level Up's Synergy Feat Chains, picking up class archetypes for the two classes you've decided to multiclass in. It does this by coming up with multiclass concepts such as the Magical Skirmisher. This concept is for anyone who is playing a Fighter/Wizard and using either the Bladechanter or Eldritch Archer synergy feat chains. This particular concept lists a number of Fighter and Wizard archetypes you can choose from as well as a list of recommended Backgrounds. So there's less guess work for anyone who wants to play with this particular Fighter/Wizard concept. :)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So I recently picked up Cryptosnark Games' The Book of Distinctions & Drawbacks, and I'm wondering how I missed this product's existence for over twenty years.

Now, PF1 is my "forever game," and I'm plenty open to mixing in 3.X and d20 Modern material, since they're so easy to convert (most of the time). Part of what I love about those "d20 System" games is that I'm a pretty big fan of transparency between PCs and NPCs; I know a lot of people hate building NPCs by the same metric(s) as PCs, but I love it.

However, this became a thing when I was recently trying to build an NPC that's blind. Not a "blind with compensatory powers/magic/special training" thing, but someone who was blind...only to find that none of the drawbacks/flaws/defects sub-systems that I looked at made that possible.

None of them.

To be clear, the system has very clear rules about being blinded, but leaving aside questions of why a remove blindness/deafness spell wouldn't work (the answer being that the character was born blind), I couldn't figure out a rules-legal way to add that condition to a character (and was adamant about sticking to some sort of rules for character generation, rather than adding that condition via fiat).

Pathfinder's drawbacks didn't allow for it. Neither did the 3.5 Unearthed Arcana's flaws. Nor any of the third-party books of drawbacks that I looked at. Adamant Entertainment's Character Drawbacks; Rogue Genius Games' Christina Stiles Presents: Ultimate Options - Minor & Major Drawbacks; Purple Duck Games' Player's Options: Flaws; Octavirate Games' Octavirate Expansions: Character Flaws, and so many others. None of them made room for the possibility of total blindness.

I get that, as far as disabilities under the rules go, that's an incredibly severe one (or, alternatively, the aforementioned "compensatory powers" makes it into a functional non-issue), but I was still shocked to see just how many flaw-based supplements avoided that particular drawback...except Cryptosnark's.

Their book not only introduces various drawbacks that a character can have, it also has (in addition to a robust discussion of how to use flaws in your game) variable applicability for how severe most of them are, in terms of how many points you get for them (which can, in turn, be spent on other things as a balancing issue). It's an elegant solution, and an expansive one, allowing for the recognition that total blindness is worth a lot more than, for instance, simply being nearsighted. It was quite the useful supplement in that regard, and I'm quite happy to have picked it up at last.

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I just picked up the Death on the Reik content for Foundry VTT by Cubicle 7. It is the second adventure book in The Enemy Within Campaign. I continue to be impressed with not only the "directors cut" version of, and conversion (to WFRP 4e) of, this classic Warhammer Fantasy campaign but how well they have adapted it for Foundry. There are so many quality-of-life features they have built into the system and their adventures in Foundry and after years of wrestling with multiple community mods to try to get D&D to run in Foundry like I would like, it is so nice to have a system built for the platform. By the time I finish this very long campaign, hopefully the Foundry systems for 5e will have matured and will properly support the D&D 50th Anniversary rules. Though, if the WotC VTT is released by then, I'll check that out and compare. For now, I'm having a blast running WFRP 4e and expect my current campaign to run for at last another year or so.

Dragonbane, which arrived today. About a third through the rule book, and am rather impressed. I had been contemplating getting it since it was in Kickstarter, but only pulled the trigger when I saw a different thread by you, @Reynard . That tipped the scales for me. Gonna see how the wife and kids do with this one, as each D&D attempt more complex than B/X has been a disaster thanks to my youngest and my wife being avatars of Chaos.

I do have 5e Planescape due to arrive tomorrow. Love DiTerlizzi’s art. May run that at some point for my group.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Just picked up Cepheus Universal since I'm generally a fan of the overall system structure. The title is slighly deceptive since its only designed for a broad range of SF games, but especially on sale I figured it was worth a look.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Just picked up Cepheus Universal since I'm generally a fan of the overall system structure. The title is slighly deceptive since its only designed for a broad range of SF games, but especially on sale I figured it was worth a look.
What are changes from Traveller? I used a Cepheus foundry engine and all I had to do was add bane and boon and a few die roll calcs (mongoose).

Remove ads