What is Greyhawk?

Nebulous

Legend
Seelie and unseelie court, Oberon Titania ?Pan? It is all stuff faerie sprites brownie satyrs pixies etc- I cannot recall right now it, is detailed in 2e monster mythology which is one of the best d&d products ever made.
Yes! Monster Mythology was such an awesome book. I still have that in storage somewhere.

jasper

Rotten DM
From reading the forums here and there and back here again. And my own XP. I also never bought any of the lore campaign materials. And the fictions books were there to entertain and make a buck. Greed is good said the Antipaladin.

Hmm Greyhawk generic aka Mcdonalds.

Realms WE HAVE THE LORE aka Arby’s. (Arby’s tag line is “We have the beef!” in a deep voice.)

DM, I running Greyhawk. I made my own map. Players “sigh”

Dm I running Realms with some… Players “Which map do you need, which age…etc”

Greyhawk, cheap set of 20 socket wrenches, two hammers, and a rusty saw.

Realms. Full blown auto and wood shop and your players judge you if you repaint tool box 2 a different shade of red.

Hussar

Legend
Looking at my 1e Grey Box, it says Forgotten Realms Campaign Set. Not Setting. mea culpa. :)

Heh. No problem. I figured that you didn't mean the 3e book, but, too many acronyms. :p

But, again, yeah, the level creep between the settings I think had more to do with the time than anything. I remember seeing the Dragonlance Adventures book come out in 87 and they gave Takhisis something like well over a THOUSAND hp. I think there was a push somewhere along the lines to make the "big bad stuff" actually be able to survive more than a round or two in the face of a name level party. :D So, it makes sense that there would be a creep in the FR line as well.

I mean, heck, like you said, a lot of the named NPC's in the Greyhawk box were mid to high teen levels. In AD&D terms, that's pretty darn epic.

Barantor

Explorer
3E FR maps look good, I still use the Paizo ones.
Think I just reset back to 1E or early 2E. Basically ignore current events.
From reading the forums here and there and back here again. And my own XP. I also never bought any of the lore campaign materials. And the fictions books were there to entertain and make a buck. Greed is good said the Antipaladin.

Hmm Greyhawk generic aka Mcdonalds.

Realms WE HAVE THE LORE aka Arby’s. (Arby’s tag line is “We have the beef!” in a deep voice.)

DM, I running Greyhawk. I made my own map. Players “sigh”

Dm I running Realms with some… Players “Which map do you need, which age…etc”

Greyhawk, cheap set of 20 socket wrenches, two hammers, and a rusty saw.

Realms. Full blown auto and wood shop and your players judge you if you repaint tool box 2 a different shade of red.

While the old maps weren't great and some of the content isn't up to today's production standards, or even 3E, there are still a LOT of folks redoing or making Greyhawk just as nice an experience as FR or newer settings, you just have to know where to look.

For example, Anna Meyers has an Amazing map that I've had players wish FR had.
Anna Meyer Online Greyhawk Map

This thing is like Google Flanaess, chock full of all the Living Greyhawk locations as well, an epic tool for Greyhawk lovers.

I also think that the Ghosts of Saltmarsh adventure showed that Greyhawk in modern 5E is just as valid and full of things to do. They took a small corner of it and developed it into a whole book. I hope in the future they allow folks to use all of Greyhawk in the DMs Guild.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I posted a similar question earlier. I really don't understand the FR vs. GH hatred. They both seem like generic fantasy worlds to me, with the same monsters and the gods are reskinned and they both have cool sounding forests and moors and ruins. Is it the huge plethora of FR lore that people take offense to? Or the wildly overwrought magical nature of the Realms? I don't follow the canon at all, I use it as a vanilla base to run games and it work well for me. I could easily swap out Greyhawk for the same setting.
Imagine, if you will, a strong argument between 2 people. The first person claims that camembert and cheddar taste quite different. The second claims that both are cheese.

Barantor

Explorer
How do Greyhawk fans feel about Ghosts of Saltmarsh?

I am about half way through running it for my wife and kids and really like it, they did Keoland right with just enough fluff to spur imaginations and the inclusion of the Scarlet Brotherhood blurbs really makes it all fit together well. I allowed my son to play a lizardfolk in it because of the adventure featuring those and it has been a lot of fun. The lore is there and they didn't change it much.

I hope this leads to not only more Greyhawk content (including it's entirety in the DMs Guild) but also other settings that haven't been done in a while like Mystara and Dark Sun.

Remove ads