• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is Gygaxian?

Mighty Veil

First Post
- Fantasy is more based off the work of pulp stories than LotR.
- Archtype over superheroes.
- It's a game, not a virtual secondary life.
- It's about fantasy and the game, not about silly modern PC politics.
- Stupidity isn't rewarded.

Sundragon2012

First Post
Allow me to say that I appreciate Gygax's creation of the initial incarnation of the game I love. Now, having said that, allow me to say........I can't stand the ideas the term gygaxian represents to many.

I don't like:

Mindless dungeon crawls.
Cheesy technology
words based on the name Gygax....ie. Gygaxite.
Horrible name conventions
A total disregard for story, plot, character development.
Gold as prime motivator for "heroes"
Alignment languages
Planes centered primarily upon simplistic alignment concepts.
DnD is supposed to be humancentric thus level limits for nonhumans.

I could go on but there is no need.

I grew out of ideas represented by the term gygaxian by the time I was 15yrs old.

Chris

Wormwood

Adventurer
Gygaxian moments:

- Filling out your character's last will and testament
- Knowning what a bec de corbin is.
- Appreciating Lord of the Rings, but LOVING Ill Met in Lankhmar
- Save or die.

Templetroll

Explorer
MonsterMash said:
The other thing would be the use of language with the extended vocabulary implementing unusual terminology.

Gygax is a sesquipadalian wordsmith. That's part of the reason Jack Vance's work appealed to him. ;) The "...horrible naming conventions..." were Vancian also.

Wormwood said:
Gygaxian moments:

- Filling out your character's last will and testament
- Knowning what a bec de corbin is.
- Appreciating Lord of the Rings, but LOVING Ill Met in Lankhmar
- Save or die.

I always liked the glaive guisarme myself. Set versus a charging Remorhaz. It died, my char didn't... sweeet. :cool:

Last edited:

Whisper72

Explorer
Words like 'comambulate'... as a foreigner, I pretty much learned to speak english (vocabulary and spelling wise) better then most native speakers due to 1st edition AD&D. When I went to college in the States, local fellow students asked ME how to spell stuff...

_Most_ people who complain vituperatively about the 'simplistic' old style adventures do not have enough grasp of the evolution of DnD. It was the first of its kind, and based off of miniatures wargames. It simply had some lessons to learn. Think of 'Old Skool' as being the game in its infancy. Think of second edition as the phase of experimentation, with some good aspects and some bad ones. Some people prefer not to grow up, and thus still prefer the older editions with all the Gygaxianisms included.

It is actually quite fascinating to see how DnD is almost coming back 360 degrees by now emphasising the wargame aspect with all the minitatures and special combat maneuver oriented stuff. In essence, the game is going back to its roots of the original Chain Mail, albeit in a highly sophisticated way.

tetsujin28

First Post
fnork de sporg said:
What modern (post-3e) books do you think are the most Gygaxan?
None. A big part of the Gygaxian feel is his most ponderous and pretentious verbiage. Indeed, to be Gygaxian is to be autochthonic, to be an original.

tetsujin28

First Post
Sundragon2012 said:
I don't like:

Mindless dungeon crawls.
Cheesy technology
words based on the name Gygax....ie. Gygaxite.
Horrible name conventions
A total disregard for story, plot, character development.
Gold as prime motivator for "heroes"
Alignment languages
Planes centered primarily upon simplistic alignment concepts.
DnD is supposed to be humancentric thus level limits for nonhumans.
You've managed to list just about everything I love.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads