• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is it with these modules on the internet?

LostSoul

Adventurer
Wolfspider said:
Or are you saying that a person can never make a critical judgement of something unless he or she has personally gone through it? I would disagree with that statement wholeheartedly.

Um... yes? ;) (Just kidding.)

Wolfspider said:
Of course it's easier! Don't we all do it? Someone comes to the forum with a situation like this, and we all judge it according to our own experiences and beliefs. We simply can't jump into Karinsdad's mind and see exactly what happened there blow by blow. We're forced to interpret and extrapolate.

I guess I wanted to show support for Karinsdad. People seemed to jump on him and insinuate that he did something wrong in the adventure, and that they could do better. Truth be told, none of us were there. Because of the complex nature of the game, it's hard to assume that mistakes were made (either in tactical or role-playing decisions). That's not always true; but I think that, in this situation, we can't assume that he, his group, or his DM, did something wrong.

I guess I just get itchy when somebody seems to come down on somebody else's game.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Wolfspider said:

Well, I'm sorry that you feel that way. If you look back at what I wrote, I never claimed that YOU or any of the players in your group were stupid. I said that your tactics were very bad, bordering on stupid. A smart person can do something stupid. Heck, I do stupid things all the time, and I think I'm somewhat intelligent.

Actually, calling someone’s tactics stupid is somewhat tantamount to calling them stupid. YMMV.

In this case, I considered this to be a slam dunk. The Cleric is out of reach of the Golem. The Golem is in reach of the Cleric. I thought the DM might just rule that since the Golem is mindless, it continues to attempt to get at the Cleric, but cannot. Eventually, the Cleric hits it enough times to kill it.

But, with the Critical Fumble rules of the DM, he considered that there was a slim chance that this would not occur. Since we did not know of these rules beforehand, it turned out that we were unsuccessful the second time, even though it could have gone either way.

And, the difference in outcome basically consisted of the Cleric going unconscious. In the long run, probably not that much of a difference.

Wolfspider said:

Don't take this so personally. You came to this forum with a gripe, and I decided to respond to your condemnation of the adventure with a different viewpoint. That's what these forums are for, after all. Discussion. Which is what we're having right now.

I wasn’t really taking it that personally, even though it might not have been apparent from the language I used. I was mostly pointing out that one man’s garbage is another man’s treasure. In this case, I thought the tactics were so good for the “second combat” that there was virtually no chance of failure. As it turned out, the DM had other plans. :)

The generic “rest up and come back later” idea is typically a fine idea. It is not always applicable. In this case, I felt the posters who were stating that this was the fault of the players (yourself included) or the DM were being overly harsh and critical. No plan, even one to rest up and regain spells is ALWAYS the best plan.

I think a lot of experienced players get in the mode of using the same well worn tactics (such as resting) so often that they cannot even conceive of anything else. Their loss. I try to not be so predictable and single minded. I try to think outside the box.

And, if it was not for the players actions to continue the first fight and have the Cleric stabilize the fallen, 3 party members instead of 1 would have probably died in the first combat. The Ranger who died could have easily ran away and save himself, but as it turned out, he gave his life to save 2 or 3 others. To me, that is much more heroic than anything the “The fault lies entirely with the players” posters way of thinking results in. To me, thinking like that results in a game of chess. All tactics and strategy and no roleplaying and heroics (and as it turned out, the tactics did save several PCs).

Personally, I think the second combat should not really have even occurred. The DM should have had the mindless Golem follow it’s programming to attack the nearest creature, it should have failed, and the Cleric should have killed it. The plan should have been that good.

But, c’est la guerre. ;)

All in all, I thought both combats were well played. Multiple PCs were saved in the first and the second should have been just a mop up except for an unknown house rule. So, I think you can understand why I disagreed with and was even slightly offended by all of the “fault of the player” posts.

Wolfspider

Explorer
But, with the Critical Fumble rules of the DM, he considered that there was a slim chance that this would not occur. Since we did not know of these rules beforehand, it turned out that we were unsuccessful the second time, even though it could have gone either way.

Yeah, this critical fumble rule really seemed to screw you guys over. If it weren't for an unlucky role, then the cleric would have probably been able to kill the golem in time. On second thought, this does seem like a good tactic. I would definitely ask your DM to clarify these rules and, if you feel this way, explain that you don't like them and think they unfairly penalize the characters.

Actually, calling someone’s tactics stupid is somewhat tantamount to calling them stupid. YMMV.
I think a lot of experienced players get in the mode of using the same well worn tactics (such as resting) so often that they cannot even conceive of anything else. Their loss. I try to not be so predictable and single minded. I try to think outside the box.
So, let me get this straight. You're calling my suggested tactics predictable and single-minded? You know, that's tantamount to saying that I am predictable and single-minded, and that I can't think outside the box. Them is fightin' words! :D

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I *liked* Dead Fire.

**Spoilers**

Did anyone notice the flesh golem before pressing the button? When I took a group through, they noticed the golem and decided not to mess with the button. They did get attackd by the brain, though... ;)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
KarinsDad said:

The generic “rest up and come back later” idea is typically a fine idea. It is not always applicable. In this case, I felt the posters who were stating that this was the fault of the players (yourself included) or the DM were being overly harsh and critical. No plan, even one to rest up and regain spells is ALWAYS the best plan.

The reason why a plan becomes time-worn and a staple of the experienced player's repertoire is because it works nearly all the time. In the session you recount, it absolutely would have worked. Thinking outside the box is OK, and we all would agree tht playing RPGs usually involves such thinking, but that doesn't mean that what is inside the box is invalidated.

Regarding the mention of the ranger's Chaotic Good alignment in relation to his "pushing the button," Chaotic Good doesn't necessarily mean doing things spontaneously. It can include that, but a character could act cautiously and conservatively and still be Chaotic Good - it's about personal choice and freedom for the individual. Personally, I'd discuss this with the ranger's player, and ask him or her to not be pushing buttons and doing similar things without consulting the rest of the party. Being Chaotic doesn't give him a free pass to take actions that could effect the rest of the party.

S'mon

Legend
It sounds to me like the GM Gm'd perfectly well, the players played perfectly well (not totally min-maxy but fair enough), and the adventure writers wrote a
and the PCs still lose. If that wasn't the case the game would be pretty predictable. No one should really be complaining here.

Re the fumble, if the spear-armed PC was balanced on a narrow ledge or similar it seems perfectly reasonable the GM should rule that a fumbled attack gave a chance to fall off (maybe with a Ref save). Frankly if I was GMing it I'd probably have had the golem grab the spear and _yank_ the poor PC off! >:)

I play flesh golems a bit more like Frankenstein's monster, maybe - they have a human brain, they're not _totally_ mindless.

coyote6

Adventurer
I think the moral of the story is: No plan is perfect, and something can (will) always go wrong. :D

BTW, this "house rule" -- it sounds like it could just be the fumble rule variant from the DMG (roll a 1 on an attack roll, make a Dex check DC 10, fail & something bad happens)?

*spoiler for Forge of Fury*

Henry -- re: Forge of Fury, are you referring to the Oper-ray? I don't recall that being particularly necessary -- at least it wasn't for our group. What item are you referring to?

LostSoul

Adventurer
S'mon said:
Re the fumble, if the spear-armed PC was balanced on a narrow ledge or similar it seems perfectly reasonable the GM should rule that a fumbled attack gave a chance to fall off (maybe with a Ref save).

Hrm, sounds more like a Balance check.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
CRGreathouse said:
I *liked* Dead Fire.

**Spoilers**

Did anyone notice the flesh golem before pressing the button? When I took a group through, they noticed the golem and decided not to mess with the button. They did get attackd by the brain, though... ;)

No, we searched the entire room and only saw a concealed door that we could not open.

Last edited:

Remove ads