• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What is player agency to you?

gban007

Adventurer
I think you'll get pushback on B and C. No one is going to go for having their position called unreasonable.
Possibly, maybe I'm looking for some other term that may be less loaded, possibly something to do with degrees of chance / likelihood, with A being that as far as DM is concerned, there is one outcome that will be considered, B may be something like something with at least say 30% chance of occurring will be considered, C may be at least 1% chance of occurring, and D is that it may be a billion to 1 chance, but in this instance it worked.

Like a coin flip, landing on heads or tails is to my mind reasonable plausible, landing on it's edge is plausible, just quite unlikely, suddenly splitting into two seems very unlikely.....

hawkeyefan

Legend
No, you are avoiding dealing with the premise in my question by saying there must be some way that the premise is invalid. But the premise is about me...

My very first response to you was to play how you like. If you were so inclined as to run it how I would do it, then find a way that isn’t ridiculous for you.

If you can’t do that, then do whatever it is you need to. Deny the ability, agree to something ludicrous, I don’t care.

gban007

Adventurer
A) A feature works when the DM says it does

your current A and B are not points on the same line as the others
maybe my follow up post gives better clarity, I've tried for B to be on same line at least, A yes I think isn't quite on same line, but then I think D isn't either. I'm trying for B and C to be on same line, with differing tables having differing willingness to accept less likely outcomes - I don't have such a willingness. At same time though possibly I can see point that A & B are DM driven, with C / D not so, which creates different slide, hmmm, never easy.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The answer some of us would give would be something like, "the ability doesn't work in this situation". Seems like a pretty straightforward answer to provide, if you can get out of the head-space that insists that the ability must  always work.

Let me ask you this - Does the ability not work because there really is no way to arrange a meeting/find food, whatever?

Or does the ability not work because you have a specific way the group must arrange the meeting/find food, whatever?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
That's like exactly what we've been saying. Why we have 30 pages on this?

Because there seems to be a refusal to accept that the people advocating for the features being useful ARE NOT advocating for some narrative magic beat the DM into submission feature.

Remove ads