D&D 5E What is the appeal of the weird fantasy races?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
See, for me it's the other direction-- there's Humans and there's the weird stuff, and there's nothing between. Especially no half-anythings.

Humans are a little weird, themselves, because they're all planetouched. But outside of Humans, it's all dragonborn/tortles, trickster warforged, and old-school kobolds.
That can work too, for sure. Either one is a bit finally fantasy, and I like that.

Undrave

Legend
Right now, I've been tinkering with a modified Zodiac to represent the 12 core deities, their animal spirits, and the people that reflect that. So Leonin, Gnolls, Orcs, Dragonborn, Aarakocra, etc would all live alongside one another in reference to a celestial hierarchy. It makes for a diverse and different setting.
Isn't that kind of like the world of Dofus/Wakfu? From what I understand, each of the 'classes' in that world (who also act as 'races' in a way) are basically divine. You pick one of the twelve god to devote yourself to, and you take on certain aspects of that god. So all the Enispira look a bit Fairy like with wings, all the Osamodas are blue skin demon-like, and all the Ecaflip end up becoming cat-people... But they're all essentially the same species, just with different visible divine aspect. Each of the chosen people being their own culture too I believe.
Then there was all the drinking, drugs and jazz. ;) Not to mention a murder based off these people not accepting one another.
Humm... I'll have you know the type of music being played in the cantina is called 'jizz' thank you very much!

ccs

41st lv DM
Do penguin people exist? Could come from same area.

I realize that your probably joking, but....

In the FR according to CCS, maybe....???
In the 1st adventure of the campaign there was this guy wandering around during the later hours at the tavern/party where the PCs all initially met:
Dire Penguin.jpg
The Tiefling has claimed (to one of the other PCs) to have shagged him behind the bar.
Is it a Penguin person? A Dire Penguin? A dude in a rubber/stuffed suit? (shrugs) All are possibilities at that party & I, the DM never specified. And we certainly didn't play that encounter....
I just thought it'd be a funny miniature to include in the late party mix. And the Tiefling player hasn't elaborated. (Though as her character was stoned out of her mind there might not be a difference to her PC. Or she's just trying to get a rise out of the other player.)

ccs

41st lv DM
Isn't that kind of like the world of Dofus/Wakfu? From what I understand, each of the 'classes' in that world (who also act as 'races' in a way) are basically divine. You pick one of the twelve god to devote yourself to, and you take on certain aspects of that god. So all the Enispira look a bit Fairy like with wings, all the Osamodas are blue skin demon-like, and all the Ecaflip end up becoming cat-people... But they're all essentially the same species, just with different visible divine aspect. Each of the chosen people being their own culture too I believe.

Humm... I'll have you know the type of music being played in the cantina is called 'jizz' thank you very much!

LOL. That's gotta be the author or someone messing with the audience. Or messing with their boss. Like when the artists sneak the phallic spires into the Little Mermaid posters & stuff. "Let's see if they notice this...."

Zardnaar

Legend
I realize that your probably joking, but....

In the FR according to CCS, maybe....???
In the 1st adventure of the campaign there was this guy wandering around during the later hours at the tavern/party where the PCs all initially met:
View attachment 129148
The Tiefling has claimed (to one of the other PCs) to have shagged him behind the bar.
Is it a Penguin person? A Dire Penguin? A dude in a rubber/stuffed suit? (shrugs) All are possibilities at that party & I, the DM never specified. And we certainly didn't play that encounter....
I just thought it'd be a funny miniature to include in the late party mix. And the Tiefling player hasn't elaborated. (Though as her character was stoned out of her mind there might not be a difference to her PC. Or she's just trying to get a rise out of the other player.)

There's Penguins on the Galapagos.

One of our Facebook guys is doing a Polynesian themed setting and there's an NZ themed one with Kea, Kiwi, Moa people.

Undrave

Legend
LOL. That's gotta be the author or someone messing with the audience. Or messing with their boss. Like when the artists sneak the phallic spires into the Little Mermaid posters & stuff. "Let's see if they notice this...."
The term 'jizz-wailer' to describe a musician first appeared in the Return of the Jedi novelization from 1983. A section of the book was removed by George Lucas, so I assume he signed off on the rest of it...

Undrave

Legend
Also, the Cantina Song is apparently titled 'Mad About Me' and was one of Tatooine's greatest hit.

dave2008

Legend
To be fair, if you look at the major cities in D&D, and all the modules, and all the adventure paths, it is human-centric.
Well, we never play in published settings and rarely use published adventures. Of course surveys suggest over 50% of D&D players use their own homebrew setting so there is that.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I’m on the autistic spectrum. I don’t really think or behave in a similar fashion to other humans I know in real life, so why would I ever want to play a human at the game table?
Same. I personally find it easier to roleplay Lizardfolk, Warforged, Gnomes, and Gith than Humans. I don't know how or why humans act, but I do know how someone who can't easily express their emotions (Warforged and Lizardfolk), who fixates on their interests (Gnomes), and have a strict moral code (Gith, Paladins, Dragonborn, etc) do. Humans are weird and do things for weird reasons. Lizardfolk, Gnomes, and Gith are more predictable, and that makes them more fun for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads