D&D 5E what is the best class?

Zardnaar

Legend
War Cleric doesn't really geat extra attacks regularly; the number of those is tied to his Wis modifier per long rest. If you're running 4-6 encounters a day, that's 1 extra attack per battle on average (assuming Wis20). Even less for a more intensive day. I don't think that makes War Cleric any more powerful than what certain other features grant clerics of different domains.

Its also his short rest channel divinity combo with great weapon style. +5 to hit, +10 damage or they use bless to help negate the -5 part and swing away. The war cleric is a lot better at fighting than all the other clerics even though one like the tempest also has heavy armour+martial weapon. Having a war cleric+light cleric and have them using bless+faerie fire combo gets funny as well. Bless is better than the tempest/light cleric blaster spells.

Channel divinity is also the reason the light cleric is the best blaster out of the clerics, it is absurd at lower levels.

Mr Fixit

Explorer
Its also his short rest channel divinity combo with great weapon style. +5 to hit, +10 damage or they use bless to help negate the -5 part and swing away.

It's a good domain, I agree. Is it authoritatively better than others? Okay, he can make one attack per battle (assuming regular short rests after every encounter) with +5att/+10dmg and he has 1 bonus attack to boot. But, as you said, light cleric also has some really great toys while life cleric is an excellent healbot (if you need one, that is). I get the impression it all more or less evens out in the end.

Though, if a war cleric were to save all his daily bonus attacks for a big battle, yeah, he could get an extra attack pretty much every round. And if he's of a high enough level, he'll get those bonus dice (2d8 at 14th) each time he hits. Couple that with slashing/piercing/bludgeoning resistance, and you have yourself a great backup warrior.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
It's a good domain, I agree. Is it authoritatively better than others? Okay, he can make one attack per battle (assuming regular short rests after every encounter) with +5att/+10dmg and he has 1 bonus attack to boot. But, as you said, light cleric also has some really great toys while life cleric is an excellent healbot (if you need one, that is). I get the impression it all more or less evens out in the end.

Though, if a war cleric were to save all his daily bonus attacks for a big battle, yeah, he could get an extra attack pretty much every round. And if he's of a high enough level, he'll get those bonus dice (2d8 at 14th) each time he hits. Couple that with slashing/piercing/bludgeoning resistance, and you have yourself a great backup warrior.

War Cleric is not the best just really really good. Life cleric is the best healer but I suppose you could argue killing stuff quicker is better. I think the war and light are probably the best clerics. Tempest and Life are decent though and I have not seen the other 2 in action.

Uchawi

First Post
Overall damage and utility are common comparisons for the best class. However, as multiple posts have indicated, if you leave the subject wide open, without a context of what the comparison is based on, then you will get equally broad and less meaningful answers.

Really, it all depends on what you want. DPR? Paladin, Fighter, or Wizard. Versatility? Bard or Druid. Spellcasting epicness? Sorcerer, Wizard, or maybe warlock. My favorites are Sorcerer (good casting, Metamagic) DEX Fighter, or Monk.

Remove ads