What is the best system for zombie games?

RogueRonin

Explorer
A friend of mine is interested in running a campaign based on a comic book series called "The Walking Dead", which is basically a zombie story set in modern times. He asked me what game/rules system would be best suited for this type of game, and I really didn't know. I've never played All Flesh Must Be Eaten, but it looks pretty good. The group I play with is most comfortable with D20, but I don't think they will have any trouble learning something new. Is there any good D20 zombie books? If not D20, what can you recommend? Thanks in advance.

The Grackle

First Post
I've never seen All Flesh must be Eaten, but if you want D20, I'd recommend D20 Modern or Grim Tales. Are you going with characters who are already competent and heroic, or normal people who get a chance to release their inner bad-ass? Like Shaun of the Dead or 28 Days Later.

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
It's not a modern setting, but I love how Legend of the Five Rings handles zombies - and skeletons, which are only zombies that the skin's fallen off of. :)

More or less, until you destroy the porcelain mask animating them... they keep coming. The limbs seek you out, the headless body shambles after you, et cetera.

Psion

Adventurer
Blood and Brains with D20 Modern is a very competant effort. A little more in the "Ash" vein, but still, a good variety.

maddman75

First Post
Another vote for All Flesh Must Be Eaten. The Unisystem is easy to pick up, I found that even though its classless, d20 players feel right at home. Stat+Skill on a 1d10, and rolling high will get you more successes/better damage. It comes complete with some build-your-own zombie rules, that let you mix and match to get Romero stumbling shamblers, to Return of the Living Dead brain eaters, to the disease born fast berzerk zombies of 28 days later. Also comes with (IIRC) six 'dead worlds', different scenarios for the end of the world. The dead simply rising out of the graves, a spreading disease, zombie dust from a comet, there's even one set in WW2 where Hitler gets zombie serum for his soldiers.

Great game, I've converted 'will only play D&D' gamers to it by leaving it where they might look through it. :)

But don't buy it on Amazon - they owe Eden a bunch of money. Walmart.com offers it for the same price if you can't find it at your FLGS.

Edit - if you do have any die-hard d20 people around there's conversion notes for d20 Modern in the back.

Last edited:

Krieg

First Post
AFMBE is the definitive Zombie RPG.

D20 Modern and/or Grim Tales can certainly be the base for an excellent zombie game.

However, if you are looking for nothing more than an evening of zombie smashing, look no further than...

Zombies!!!
http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies/

It's a boardgame not an RPG, but darn it's fun (and it comes with ONE HUNDRED plastic zombie figs)!

Even if you don't buy the game, make sure you pick up a Bag O' Zombies from them. 100 zombies for $9.99 ain't too shabby. :D

Last edited:

The Grackle

First Post
maddman75 said:
Another vote for All Flesh Must Be Eaten... It comes complete with some build-your-own zombie rules, that let you mix and match to get Romero stumbling shamblers, to Return of the Living Dead brain eaters, to the disease born fast berzerk zombies of 28 days later.

Whoa. You just sold me on it.

Ranes

Adventurer
Definitely AFMBE, although I think Games Workshop's OOP board game Chainsaw Warrior deserves an honourable mention.

Remove ads