What is the essence of D&D

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
What they bolt onto that isn't to important IMHO or if they can regain a few spots on short rests etc.
Being able to repeat a casting of ANY spell or use ANY slot for something else is huge dude you cannot do that in 1e through 4e... but damn straight you can in 5e

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Key spells need to be in certain levels. Fireball level 3, along with fly and lightning bolt, wish level 9 magic missile level 1 etc.
See we disagree that isnt an actual functional distinction its a cosmetic one... to me having them restricted to numbers of uses is very fundamental and actually affects player choices at the table.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
And you still could be right the player base could be that cosmetic and shallow in its understanding of what makes something D&D

Zardnaar

Legend
Being able to repeat a casting or use a slot for something is huge dude you cannot do that in 1e through 4e... but damn straight you can in 5e

So your point? I don't like everything in 5E but overall it's decent.

I wouldn't care if they added an AEDU spellcaster to 5E or even a warlord. As long as they don't take away stuff I like. I would if they added certain things like at will attack granting to a core book or excessive martial healing.

If they did a Raven Queens Guide to Nerath I wouldn't care to much what was in it except maybe balance related.

I don't care about balance to the extent 4E doubled down on it but 3E was to far out of whack for example. 3Es down there with 4E in list of favorite D&D's.

Zardnaar

Legend
And you still could be right the player base could be that cosmetic and shallow in its understanding of what makes something D&D

It's for any franchise. If you make drastic changes to something and it blows up in your face it's fairly predictable.

Doesn't matter what franchise. Drastic change bad.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Doesn't matter what franchise.
Its not franchises its product differences,.
A change less than blue paint vs red instead of actual performance differences is what you are talking about being more important than the car being able to now move sideways....

If you want to jump to a different product line....

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
4e restricted wizard daily spell selection to part of them being utility spells other versions of the game did not restrict that. However 5e allows you to select those and NEVER use them without any penalty? since you can still use their slot for other things. 4e does not let you do that 1e to 3e does not both are functional differences

But neither is apparently as important as labelling things arbitrarily as level divided by 2 vs labelling them the level you get them at.

Zardnaar

Legend
4e restricted wizard daily spell selection to part of them being utility spells other versions of the game did not restrict that. However 5e allows you to select those and NEVER use them without any penalty? since you can still use their slot for other things. 4e does not let you do that 1e to 3e does not both are functional differences

But neither is apparently as important as labelling things arbitrarily as level divided by 2 vs labelling them the level you get them at.

That's why I have always said the real problem in layman's terms is specifically 4E classes as designed and the implementation of it. It didn't matter what else 4E done right there was enough. Powers, AEDU what that's it that's the problem right there.

Doesn't matter how you try to obfuscate it.

Boiled down most things about 4E are powers/class/AEDU related.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
As I said you could be right cosmetic changes may be one "change too many" but when one is not really wanting to change something AND the lawyers and business dudes say we need enough differences to be IP....

Remove ads