• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the ideal session length

ideal session length

• 2 hours or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • at least 3 hours

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • at least 4 hours

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • at least 5 hours

Votes: 64 15.0%
  • at least 6 hours

Votes: 100 23.4%
  • at least 8 hours

Votes: 28 6.5%
  • at least 10 hours

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • at least 12 hours

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • at least 16 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • all weekend long

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • as long as we can stay awake

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • it depends on how the session is going

Votes: 32 7.5%

Novalar

First Post
We play a weekly game on monday nights that was suppose to run from 6pm to 10pm. With work and other real life issues we normally game from 7-7.30pm to 10-10.30pm. This is normally 3.5 D&D. If we manage a weekend game it is about 8-10 hourswith a cooked lunch break and goof off of Last Unicorn Games star trek system or a 3.5 D&D Undead game. Or Shadowrun 3rd ed of about 6-8 hours as different people are available. Not like the good old days... game every night, weekends... live and breath gaming! You really do not need sleep... :D

Starglim

Explorer
Too many variables. 8 to 11 for a weeknight campaign session on not enough sleep can be a long stretch. 5 hours or so during the day is good to get the most out of a well-written one-off adventure.

MonsterMash

First Post
I voted depending on how things are going, there wasn't actually an option for the usual amount of time my group plays for, which is between 2-3 hours as its a weekday night after work and a few of the people have long journeys to get there.

If we get to play at a weekend then something like 6 hours is ideal.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Since we're discussing specific gaming groups now...

Theres 6 of us in total, ages from mid 20's to mid 30's, and we play every week on Mondays 8pm till 11-30/midnight. Thats about right.

I wouldn't want it to be fortnightly or monthly (how do you guys handle that?).

just__al

First Post
Mr. Kaze said:
Personally, I like to play for as long as we're making good progress. Realistically, we schedule for 6:30-10pm and run over when we get into brutal long-running combats.

That is the same for our group. The person who has been most vocal to sticking to the 10:00 ending point is probably bowing out of the game. If that happens I'm going to push for 10:30 for 4 hours total.

Psion

Adventurer
We're currently running about 4, but I'd like to push it to 6, personally. We usually wrap at 11:00 or so. If the players are really getting involved in the session, we've been known to keep it churning until 2.

mr_accipitres

First Post
I voted for at least 4 hours, but I think six is about what I really see as ideal for me personally. It provides enough time for chit-chat and such, without going too long.

Remove ads