• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What is the most dice you could ever need?

So, in my D&D games, I've found that myself and others have been having a bit of trouble just having enough dice for spells and actions at times.

So it got me thinking, with considerations towards spells and abilities with scaling as well as spells and actions that just use a lot of dice, how many dice would you ever need as a player to "always be prepared"?

Edit:
In other words, how many D4, D6, D8, D10, and D12 dice could you ever need if you went up to level 20 and didn't have any homebrew things giving you extra dice?

Last edited:

I run four sets (2 of each of 2 colours), except for d6, which I have 11 of (cause 3 were a gift).

That makes do for anything I need. I don't mind adding a couple rolls together if needed.

In the past, we carried around several hundreds of dice. We snagged them from every board game we could get and such. But then again we used to line them up as enemies/monsters and have battles with waves and hoards... (that was AD&D).

I run four sets (2 of each of 2 colours), except for d6, which I have 11 of (cause 3 were a gift).

That makes do for anything I need. I don't mind adding a couple rolls together if needed.

In the past, we carried around several hundreds of dice. We snagged them from every board game we could get and such. But then again we used to line them up as enemies/monsters and have battles with waves and hoards... (that was AD&D).

Our group has tried this approach but for whatever reason :) Whenever someone gets around to picking the dice up again, they count them out again and forget what the previous rolls got them :) That and I have an awful memory for numbers so I kind of need to get the right amount of dice as rerolling just 1 slows things down quite a bit :)

Sacrosanct

Legend
In general, the answer to your question is: "one more". Always one more...

But more specifically, just one set is all you need, if you don't mind rolling some more than once and tallying them. If you're asking how many would you ever need without rerolling, then it becomes complicated. What kind of spell are you casting? Did you score a crit with sneak attack? You could feasibly rolling more than a dozen dice easily.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
In other words, how many D4, D6, D8, D10, and D12 dice could you ever need if you went up to level 20 and didn't have any homebrew things giving you extra dice?

To cover your bases, I's suggest 50 of each. Except d12s, you only need 25 of those. ;)

That's not *much* of an exaggeration—meteor swarm has you rolling 40d6 (20 of two different colors, if you want to roll all forty at once, otherwise roll 20 twice—once for each damage type). A maxed-out cone of cold requires 12 d8s, a maxed-out magic missile requires 11 d4s, an action-surging fighter with an additional attack (TWF, etc.) can roll 7 attacks (7 d20s). And so on.

Horwath

Legend
4 of each.

But most d6 and d8 are needed. Because of spells.

Also I had a house rule that you roll max 4 dice for any damage roll and add the average of the rest. Rest must be even number of dice.

I.E. 10d6 fireball would be 4d6+21. 11d6 fireball would be 3d6+28.
Unless the dice have some reroll mechanics.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
With cantrips, you need at least 4 of each of the d4s, through to d12s. If you ever got the opportunity to cast meteor swarm and wanted to roll all the dice in one go then you'd need 40d6, preferably at least 20 being a different colour for the different damage types. Advantage means you'd need at least 2d20. There are some spells that use d8s like horrid wilting and cone of cold so at least 12 there. I think I recall more than 4 d10s being used for some spells but can't recall the spells themselves so you will likely need more of those. Erupting earth uses d12s so a 9th level version would be 9d12.

All I have are 1 of each with an extra 3 d6s so I can roll 4d6 at twice for spells like fireball.

Remove ads