What is the name for his type of movie?

Goblyn

Explorer
Hey all. I can't remember what the term is for movies such as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon where poewrful characters fly around and such.

Can anyone help me with remembering what these are called?

Thanks in advance.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Yes. He means wuxia.

Unless he specifically means CTHD, in which case he means, "Big Budget Overblown Cynical COPY of Wuxia".

Sorry, is that MY prejudice staining the discussion? Sorry about that. :D

Yes, VB has the right of it. Wuxia.

Goblyn

Explorer
Aha! Thank you

Yes, Wuxia is what I meant. CT/HD is just the first one that came to mind. Again, thank you.

In case you're wondering why: in the interest of making a wuxia-style DnD char, I've noticed that the psychic warrior would be quite siuted to pulling this off, whether in 3.0 or 3.5.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Totally.

What you REALLY want, though, I bet, is Mutants and Masterminds. I've been meaning to run a wuxia version of that someday. And will, too.

Goblyn

Explorer
Ooh. I've never played Mutants and Masterminds ... though muy current DM has, and has made apparent his interest in doing it again ... too bad I'm leaving the group. :(

Or wire-fu, maybe. Iron Monkey is probably a better example of a traditional member of the genre that's reasonably well-known outside of China though.

Tewligan

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Or wire-fu, maybe. Iron Monkey is probably a better example of a traditional member of the genre that's reasonably well-known outside of China though.
Y'know, that's one of those movies that, every time I see it at Best Buy or something, I pick it up and stare at the case for several minutes. It seems like I'd like it, but I always finally put it down reluctantly and go buy something else that I watch or listen to once. I'm an idiot.

Remove ads