• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the name for his type of movie?

Suldulin

First Post
Goblyn said:
In case you're wondering why: in the interest of making a wuxia-style DnD char, I've noticed that the psychic warrior would be quite siuted to pulling this off, whether in 3.0 or 3.5.

Green Ronin Psychic Handbook might be better suited for this, imho

Olive

Explorer
WizarDru said:
I'll give you Swordsman and Bride...but Dragon Inn is a mess of a movie, and terribly dull, besides IMHO. Give me New Legend of Shaolin or Iron Monkey any day of the week.

Or better yet, Return of the Master Killer or the Flying Guillotine. Now we're talking. :)

Aren't Return of Master Killer and New Legend of Shaolin really kung fu movies, as destinct from the particular things that make wuxia wuxia? And all the movies about that doc that Iron Monkey is about, great movies, but not wuxia in my understanding of it.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Olive said:
Aren't Return of Master Killer and New Legend of Shaolin really kung fu movies, as destinct from the particular things that make wuxia wuxia? And all the movies about that doc that Iron Monkey is about, great movies, but not wuxia in my understanding of it.
Well, it depends on how tightly you define Wuxia. From classical Wuxia fiction, then yes, they don't qualify. But really, neither does Dragon Inn. CTHD and Hero are really revisionist takes on wuxia, made in an environment that keeps the Chinese government of their backs, with a de-emphasis on Confucianism, in particular.

New Legend, in particular, has Wong Fei Hong, which is about as traditional a member of the xia as there is, IMHO....but I'm no expert on whether it qualifies or not. It may not be Wuxia at all.

Heck, I just like watching guys punch the crap out of each other while standing on poles or jumping on people's heads. :)

Olive

Explorer
WizarDru said:
Well, it depends on how tightly you define Wuxia. From classical Wuxia fiction, then yes, they don't qualify. But really, neither does Dragon Inn. CTHD and Hero are really revisionist takes on wuxia, made in an environment that keeps the Chinese government of their backs, with a de-emphasis on Confucianism, in particular.

That's interesting. The very little badly translated wuxia stuff I've read seems to be much closer to the CTHD thing than the wierd action comedy that most kungfu/wuxia films ave going on. Which is why I found it wierd when barsoomcore said that CTHD was the copy, rather than the other way around. Possibly the film wuxia genre and the trad literature stuff are quite different beasts, and CHTD, being based on a more traditional book, was an effort to try to evoke the aesthetics of the literary genre on film, rather than make another version of the film genre.

New Legend, in particular, has Wong Fei Hong, which is about as traditional a member of the xia as there is, IMHO....but I'm no expert on whether it qualifies or not. It may not be Wuxia at all.

But Wong Fei Hong is a modern anti-manchu martial artist right? I thought the whole point of wuxia was the wierd sorcery stuff mixed with weapons and kung fu. the Wong Fei Hong movies I've seen are great, but pretty muh straight kung fu flicks.

Heck, I just like watching guys punch the crap out of each other while standing on poles or jumping on people's heads. :)

No doubt. This is jsut typical message board sematics that I'm engaging in. I like little boxes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads