D&D 5E What is the opposite of a Modron?

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned [CHAOS BEASTS] up to now.

Aberrantly organic as opposed to the cold, mechanical nature of Modrons.

No definable form or shape as opposed to the highly purposed structures of the Modrons.

A mess of primitive instincts as opposed to the programmed intelligence of the Modrons.

Virulent propagation as opposed to the preserved rotations of Modron populations.

Coroc

Hero
If Modrons are the embodiment of lawfulness, do creatures exist in the opposite balancing extreme of chaos?

Obviously, they would be harder to define by definition, not fitting into the structure of Mechsnus.

It seems like these should exist — if so what are they and where can they be found?

If they don’t exist, what would they be like? What would the opposite of a Modron March be? How do you describe the opposite of geometric hierarchical structure?
Slaadi

jgsugden

Legend
Absolute chaos tends to not take care of itself. Thus, the living embodiments of chaos are ... extinct.

In my campaign world the Modrons are a sort of Doomsday Clock. They are creatures of absolute order, but they are in slow decay into chaos. They measure the uncontrollble chaos in the universe as it dies my version of a Heat Death (which is the gradual influx of the Far Realms).

Absolute chaos tends to not take care of itself. Thus, the living embodiments of chaos are ... extinct.

In my campaign world the Modrons are a sort of Doomsday Clock. They are creatures of absolute order, but they are in slow decay into chaos. They measure the uncontrollble chaos in the universe as it dies my version of a Heat Death (which is the gradual influx of the Far Realms).
I like the idea that the far realms are the realms beyond the realms of forms (playing on proto nord and ancient greek physics and philosophy) and that the outer planes are the planes of forms, and that the planes further in than the material gradually become places of of comppsition saturation until differentiation becomes impossible. That the reason things look psuedonatural to us is in fact actually because they are REALLER. The realest and most fundemental things (where hybrid composition is the most basic and obvious when it does manage to happen) we can perceive withought being too fundemental for us to actually perceive due to physics.

I like aspects of this due to being a physicist. It just gells.

Last edited:

I have had a realization. The adherance to generally consistant anatomy and orderly composition necessary to create a creature is the roadblock we must overcome. I think ive cracked it.

We dont need a chaotic exemplar.

What we need is a planar disease/plague
So Modron - little mechanical creature that tries to make the universe run like clockwork.

The obvious opposite to me is not necessarily a slaad or chaos beast or other well-known chaotic entity from D&D. It's a gremlin. A fey-like creature that exists to make machinery break down.

Taken together this reminds me a bit of Exalted, where the machine deity Autochton was threatened by a disease that was turning his followers and technicians into gremlins that would attack his inner workings

Remove ads