What is the point of GM's notes?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Player: So this is the 3rd Chimera we’ve encountered in the territory. Seems strange for a mythical beast and an apex predator. This reeks of foul sorcery! I think there is a “head of the snake” at play here. There must be a nexus! Some kind of portal through which they’re entering our world or maybe a ritualist that is mass producing them! How are Chimera’s spawned? The vastness of history must have an instance of this?

GM: Sounds like you’re consulting your accumulated knowledge! Spout Lore!

Player: Rolls 2d6+2 and gets a 10. Awesome! Something interesting and useful!

GM: Potato.
One element here that hasn't yet been touched: does the information given have to be complete? For example, instead of saying "Potato" here, what if the GM's reply was

"For some reason, the name Talartharniel comes to mind."

This doesn't give the PCs any concrete answers and probably just generates more questions, yet works as a hook and is in fact a valid and accurate clue: the GM knows (or has just made up!) that Talatharniel is an experimenter in creature-morphing, based in the nearby area, who has been working on/with Chimerae but now has no more use for them and has been turning them loose to fend for themselves.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Stress are like hit points in a non-leveled game (like Call of Cthulhu, where you can't have more than ... twelve, I think). So taking 1 Stress (or 2) is ... not likely to be a best-case scenario. And if Flashbacks automatically bring complications with them (I have no reason to doubt @Manbearcat on this) then it seems as though it would almost have to be an act of desperation, or one that would guarantee success on the score, or both.

Not exactly hit points, although if you run out, the character is out of play, so they have that in common. But aside from that, it's more like "effort" or "will" or "stamina", or some combination of all of that. It is the resource used to: activate some special abilities, Push an Action to roll an extra die OR to increase the effect of the outcome, Resist Consequences (including Harm), Assist Others, and Invoke a Flashback.

So Stress really affects so many different elements of the game....to put it in D&D terms it's a bit of a combo of HP, AC and Saves, Inspiration, Aid Another, and Spell Slots/Ki Points/Battle Master Dice/Other Class Ability. If all of those things were managed by one pool of points, then you'd be closer to what Stress means for the game.

I remember thinking when I read the SRD that Flashbacks seemed ... overhyped, and likely to be a really bad idea in play, just based on costs and likely outcomes (not like a bad idea for retconny reasons).

I think it's a rather small element of the game that becomes the focus of much discussion to a disproportionate amount....so I agree in that sense. However, they can be very exciting and engaging in play, and they represent a different take on skilled play.

As an example, the big one I can think of in my game with @Fenris-77 which @Manbearcat runs.....our crew was basically assaulting a tavern that had been taken from one of our contacts by a rival gang. We were going to take it back. Upon setting the scene, MBC placed the tavern (which had previously only been mentioned, but never actually "shown" in play) alongside a canal, with a bridge that spanned the canal nearby. Prior to that point, we didn't even know of the bridge.

We decided to strike at the time of a shift change from one group to another in order to get an advantage (they're a little vulnerable at that point) and also to do twice as much damage to the gang. So essentially, we'd need to take out one group outside as they depart, and then the other group inside. This would be a pretty tough thing to pull off.

So I came up with a Flashback for my character, a Leech or tinkerer/alchemist, to have rigged the bridge to explode when the gang was crossing, and that this would look like an accident due to a faulty electroplasmic streetlamp. This would (hopefully) eliminate one group entirely, and also not arouse suspicion that foul play was involved (you can't really kill willy nilly without piling up some bad consequences). The Flashback cost 2 stress, and then I had to make the roll to see if it worked.

I rolled a Success with Consequence, and that left that group decimated (most were killed outright), one was wounded badly but alive, and another was thrown into the canal. So we still had to deal with those two guys, but we were able to do so without too much trouble.

So this decision to use the Flashback meant that for the cost of 2 Stress, the Score was almost halfway completed, and without much blowback at that point. If we instead had decided to engage in a direct fight, or even tried to sneak up on them to take them out, we likely would have used more Stress and perhaps added some other consequences to the situation.

So this was a skilled move on my part, I'd say. But I couldn't plan this ahead of time, because until he started setting the scene, we (the players) didn't know the layout of the site or similar details. But once that bridge was mentioned, it was free game for me to use and incorporate it into a Flashback. I think I added the detail of the Streetlamp in order to make it look like an accident, but I may be misremembering.

Now, this isn't something that really presents itself all the time. As I said earlier, I think we've done 2 or 3 Flashbacks of this kind in our entire campaign so far, and we've done 7 or 8 Scores at this point.

So you're a PC and something unknown to you as a player is attacking and you want to know what it is and what it can do. It might be a matter of life and death, or it might be nothing, or it might not be useful now, but be useful later. You don't just get to have the knowledge for free just because it's not helpful right now. That's why the dice are being used. Unless of course there's no chance of them knowing, in which case it's a no per RAW, or if they would know automatically for some reason, in which case it's a yes per RAW.

The above happens all the time.

It's usually creature lore, one of the most common types, where the information isn't always useful. It's more often useful in a situation where you have a more narrowly defined mystery, like @Fenris-77's mystical runes example upthread, a success will generally be of some amount of use.

So no actual example then?

Gimme a situation where my party is fighting a monster and I try to recall some lore about the creature to help us, and instead I get nothing. Why would a GM do that to the players?

Could, not would.

So ignorance is bliss? That's your argument?

If I want to know something, it's better to know it than to not know it.

Thanks for the more detailed explanation. I knew that there were costs potentially involved, with greater costs the greater the impact. The costs don't change what I dislike about the mechanic as it is stated in Blades, though.

No, they don't, and that's fine. I'm not trying to convince you to like the mechanic. I'm just saying that D&D is not this one way linear trip that many are saying. That there are non-lineaer elements like Blades' Flashback going on in D&D all the time. That's all.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
One element here that hasn't yet been touched: does the information given have to be complete? For example, instead of saying "Potato" here, what if the GM's reply was

This doesn't give the PCs any concrete answers and probably just generates more questions, yet works as a hook and is in fact a valid and accurate clue: the GM knows (or has just made up!) that Talatharniel is an experimenter in creature-morphing, based in the nearby area, who has been working on/with Chimerae but now has no more use for them and has been turning them loose to fend for themselves.
On a 10, the information is--per the rules--supposed to be "interesting and useful." That's as complete a success as possible with the default moves (those available to everyone). Now, Talartharniel (or even, in principle, "Potato!") could be both interesting and useful, depending on what else had been previously established. I, for one, think it would be awesome to arrange a game where "Potato!" was a useful and interesting answer to a lore check.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Not exactly hit points, although if you run out, the character is out of play, so they have that in common. But aside from that, it's more like "effort" or "will" or "stamina", or some combination of all of that. It is the resource used to: activate some special abilities, Push an Action to roll an extra die OR to increase the effect of the outcome, Resist Consequences (including Harm), Assist Others, and Invoke a Flashback.

So Stress really affects so many different elements of the game....to put it in D&D terms it's a bit of a combo of HP, AC and Saves, Inspiration, Aid Another, and Spell Slots/Ki Points/Battle Master Dice/Other Class Ability. If all of those things were managed by one pool of points, then you'd be closer to what Stress means for the game.
Yeah, it's been a while since I read the SRD, and I bounced off it pretty hard. I'm unsurprised I got things wrong. I don't think they were wrong about the spirit, or about Flashbacks being pretty limited/constrained.

Sounds as though stress is about as abstracted as hit points, though. 😉
I think it's a rather small element of the game that becomes the focus of much discussion to a disproportionate amount....so I agree in that sense. However, they can be very exciting and engaging in play, and they represent a different take on skilled play.
Yeah. I think I was getting at "less important to the game than all the talk makes it sound" with "overhyped."

I remember looking at it and thinking, "That's it?" Also, that it really seemed like a bad bet. Of course, the game is built to encourage bad bets, so that's about right, I think.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So no actual example then?
I provided an example of how it works in my game. That's sufficient.
Gimme a situation where my party is fighting a monster and I try to recall some lore about the creature to help us, and instead I get nothing. Why would a GM do that to the players?
You don't get nothing. You want some information about the Illithid to help you. Your goal of "to help us" is irrelevant to the roll. What you are seeking is Illithid knowledge. You succeed in the roll and find out that they can suck brains if they grab you with your tentacles, mind blast, etc. But without any defenses against those things, the knowledge doesn't necessarily help you. Maybe it's useless information for the current situation, but it could be useful in the future if you run away and go see if you can scrounge up a scroll with Mind Blank or something.
So ignorance is bliss? That's your argument?
No. Not at all.
If I want to know something, it's better to know it than to not know it.
It would be for me as well. Even if it's not useful, at least I wouldn't be wondering if there was something useful to know. That certainty would make a difference to me. Maybe not for you. I don't know.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Yeah, it's been a while since I read the SRD, and I bounced off it pretty hard. I'm unsurprised I got things wrong. I don't think they were wrong about the spirit, or about Flashbacks being pretty limited/constrained.

Sounds as though stress is about as abstracted as hit points, though. 😉

Oh even more so. As abstract as HP are, they really only do one thing mechanically.

Yeah. I think I was getting at "less important to the game than all the talk makes it sound" with "overhyped."

I remember looking at it and thinking, "That's it?" Also, that it really seemed like a bad bet. Of course, the game is built to encourage bad bets, so that's about right, I think.

Yeah. The equivalent would be like if people spent all their time talking about D&D based on how much they hated Inspiration, or something like that.

But yes, the game encourages risky behavior for sure, where as D&D tends to encourage caution and preparedness.

Probably a lot of factors, but I think that with D&D, we’re very conditioned to think of the PCs as Heroes...and so we want to see them win. And so they get played in a way to minimize risk and try and ensure victory.

With Blades, the PCs are not Heroes, and so that conditioning is absent, and we’re more likely to take risks with them and more willing to see things end horribly for them.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I provided an example of how it works in my game. That's sufficient.

You don't get nothing. You want some information about the Illithid to help you. Your goal of "to help us" is irrelevant to the roll. What you are seeking is Illithid knowledge. You succeed in the roll and find out that they can suck brains if they grab you with your tentacles, mind blast, etc. But without any defenses against those things, the knowledge doesn't necessarily help you. Maybe it's useless information for the current situation, but it could be useful in the future if you run away and go see if you can scrounge up a scroll with Mind Blank or something.

No. Not at all.

It would be for me as well. Even if it's not useful, at least I wouldn't be wondering if there was something useful to know. That certainty would make a difference to me. Maybe not for you. I don't know.

I think maybe we're just looking at "being informed" differently as it relates to being an advantage or not.

I mean....

"Agh, that thing has its tentacles all over Brad's head.....that means its about to eat his brain! Quick, get it!!!!"

"Supposedly these things send out a mind blast that can affect more then one person.....SPREAD OUT!!!"

...each seems advantageous to not knowing those things.

As an example, the big one I can think of in my game with @Fenris-77 which @Manbearcat runs.....our crew was basically assaulting a tavern that had been taken from one of our contacts by a rival gang. We were going to take it back. Upon setting the scene, MBC placed the tavern (which had previously only been mentioned, but never actually "shown" in play) alongside a canal, with a bridge that spanned the canal nearby. Prior to that point, we didn't even know of the bridge.

We decided to strike at the time of a shift change from one group to another in order to get an advantage (they're a little vulnerable at that point) and also to do twice as much damage to the gang. So essentially, we'd need to take out one group outside as they depart, and then the other group inside. This would be a pretty tough thing to pull off.

So I came up with a Flashback for my character, a Leech or tinkerer/alchemist, to have rigged the bridge to explode when the gang was crossing, and that this would look like an accident due to a faulty electroplasmic streetlamp. This would (hopefully) eliminate one group entirely, and also not arouse suspicion that foul play was involved (you can't really kill willy nilly without piling up some bad consequences). The Flashback cost 2 stress, and then I had to make the roll to see if it worked.

I rolled a Success with Consequence, and that left that group decimated (most were killed outright), one was wounded badly but alive, and another was thrown into the canal. So we still had to deal with those two guys, but we were able to do so without too much trouble.

So this decision to use the Flashback meant that for the cost of 2 Stress, the Score was almost halfway completed, and without much blowback at that point. If we instead had decided to engage in a direct fight, or even tried to sneak up on them to take them out, we likely would have used more Stress and perhaps added some other consequences to the situation.

So this was a skilled move on my part, I'd say. But I couldn't plan this ahead of time, because until he started setting the scene, we (the players) didn't know the layout of the site or similar details. But once that bridge was mentioned, it was free game for me to use and incorporate it into a Flashback. I think I added the detail of the Streetlamp in order to make it look like an accident, but I may be misremembering.

Now, this isn't something that really presents itself all the time. As I said earlier, I think we've done 2 or 3 Flashbacks of this kind in our entire campaign so far, and we've done 7 or 8 Scores at this point.

1) This was extremely Skilled Play from you in a number of ways (and it was awesome as well):

a) It was thematically appropriate.
b) It intersected with your xp triggers.
c) It ended up being a tactically and strategically good use of resources (more on that below).

2) My recollection of it was as follows:

a) The electroplaspmic streetlamp that lit the span of the archway bridge over the canal was part of my framing. You invoked as something like "is it feasible for this thing to fail catastrophically so the Sparkwright engineers that investigate this won't determine foul play (you were trying to prevent the extra Heat from the body count + this sort of calamity being afforded to you guys in Payoff." I said yeah, you can set it up as such, but its going to be extremely complicated (max of 2 cost in Flashback) and you'll have to expend 2 of your 3 loadout boxes from your bandolier for the bombs to make this happen (giving you the one box which you used later in the apartment in the back of the tavern). And Pietra (one of your Elite Rooks) is (a) going to have to light the fuse so (b) we're going to use her Quality for the Flashback roll to set this all up, and (c) she has to be local so she is out of the rest of the Score). It was a 6 on her Quality Roll for the Flashback (there may have been a Push with this...I can't recall).

Ultimately, it was Deperate/Great (so mark xp) > you got 5 on your Tinker or on the Quality of your bombs (I can't recall which it was) > Reduced Effect as Complication (so 2 down 2 remaining to deal with as you put it above).

b) So your total resource expenditure/allocation for this move was pretty significant (but again, ultimately worth it):

• 2 Stress for the Flashback.
  • Stiv may have used another 1 Stress to Aid Pietra and give her another dice (does that sound right) to ensure this went off?
  • 2/3 of your Leech Bandolier boxes were used.
  • Pietra was out for the rest of the Score.

Last edited:

Depends on the game.

* In Torchbearer, Wises (specific area of Lore) are used to grant allies +1d on a related Test, to reroll a single die on a failed test (with spent Fate point), or reroll all failed dice (with spent Persona point).

* In 5e, its basically "GM Decides" so the GM decides (a) what the DC is and (b) what info (whether interesting, whether useful, whether both) the player gains from an Intelligence Ability Check.

* In 4e, the DC is decided by level and a Lore-based success affords the player a Success and attendant gamestate change if its in a Skill Challenge or relevant monster info if its a combat (vulnerabilities, resistances, et al).

* In Dungeon World, a 7-9 gives the player something interesting while a 10+ gives them something both interesting and useful (immediately relevant and actionable).

Its possibly that "the name Talartharniel comes to mind..." is interesting in a DW game. Interesting means here is a setup...you figure out how to use it. So the players might take that name and interrogate the library or consult a sage. They may find some relevant info about his past experiments or where his laboratory was or an arcane mark that they have seen before and a light turns on.

But its clearly not immediately relevant and actionable. Its a setup to get further information. The immediately relevant and actionable might be the following exchange:

GM: "Talartharniel was a an alchemist prodigy and possibly Blood Magic Sorcerer who dabbled in all manner of cross-breeding and arcane experiment...the recluse disappeared a few years ago." <asking the player> What was the inciting event that led to his disappearance?

Player: "After a calamity in his workshop leveled the top of Lookout Peak (of course)!"

Interesting + immediately actionable (useful).

hawkeyefan

Legend
1) This was extremely Skilled Play from you in a number of ways (and it was awesome as well):

a) It was thematically appropriate.
b) It intersected with your xp triggers.
c) It ended up being a tactically and strategically good use of resources (more on that below).

2) My recollection of it was as follows:

a) The electroplaspmic streetlamp that lit the span of the archway bridge over the canal was part of my framing. You invoked as something like "is it feasible for this thing to fail catastrophically so the Sparkwright engineers that investigate this won't determine foul play (you were trying to prevent the extra Heat from the body count + this sort of calamity being afforded to you guys in Payoff." I said yeah, you can set it up as such, but its going to be extremely complicated (max of 2 cost in Flashback) and you'll have to expend 2 of your 3 loadout boxes from your bandolier for the bombs to make this happen (giving you the one box which you used later in the apartment in the back of the tavern). And Pietra (one of your Elite Rooks) is (a) going to have to light the fuse so (b) we're going to use her Quality for the Flashback roll to set this all up, and (c) she has to be local so she is out of the rest of the Score). It was a 6 on her Quality Roll for the Flashback (there may have been a Push with this...I can't recall).

Ultimately, it was Deperate/Great (so mark xp) > you got 5 on your Tinker or on the Quality of your bombs (I can't recall which it was) > Reduced Effect as Complication (so 2 down 2 remaining to deal with as you put it above).

b) So your total resource expenditure/allocation for this move was pretty significant (but again, ultimately worth it):

• 2 Stress for the Flashback.
  • Stiv may have used another 1 Stress to Aid Pietra and give her another dice (does that sound right) to ensure this went off?
  • 2/3 of your Leech Bandolier boxes were used.
  • Pietra was out for the rest of the Score.

Yes, much more accurate assessment of it! I remembered having to use Pietra for that part, but I had forgotten the use of my Bandolier, so I had less gear available to me for the remainder of the Score. And yes, Stiv assisted by subtly steering innocent bystanders away from the area of the lamp so that they didn't get exploded.

Even still, all of that was worth it for both the moment of play when it all came together, and also to preserve the majority of our resources for the second half of the Score.

Remove ads