What is the status of Cormyr in 5e?

hastur_nz

First Post
I agree, but it's the same problem we now get with Star Wars; once upon a time, a movie would stand on its own self-contained story, now it seems a lot of the plot is explained by the books / comics / cartoons you've never actually experienced. Some might call that progress, personally for me it's laziness in terms of crafting a good, self-contained experience.

Anyway, on topic, ... I've always felt the Forgotten Realms has always suffered from this problem! I own the original boxed set, and have recently re-read it (well, skimmed, it's not designed for reading end to end) - it feels like a reference book where half of it got left behind, all sketch, no real meat. Then you read for example the first three Drizzt novels to learn about the Savage Frontier, and so on. What did that boxed set tell me about Cormyr? Very little, from what I recall, the only bits with much "meat" were the Dale Lands, and even that was sketchy at best. It wasn't until 3.x put out the Forgotten Realms hard-back, that people finally had a "one stop shop" that, to a fair degree, actually gave you a comprehensive look at the whole land. So more like the old World of Greyhawk boxed set, but not really (more detail, I think, in some areas at least). It's a large reason I've never liked Forgotten Realms... too much material spread all over various products (hardbacks, adventures, novels, even computer games).

That said, I've run a PC in various Forgotten Realms games, and am DMing FR myself now, and we all treat it very superficially - at most, google some basic things, and just run the game like we would normally i.e. the overall game world isn't a huge feature. For example one of my latest PC's was an Eldritch Knight from Cormyr, I'd done some basic research, but we played Out of the Abyss, so I might as well have been from anywhere or nowhere it hardly ever featured at the table.

akr71

Hero
If you want to use 5e canon for Cormyr then @Pauper is right: Fire in the Blood is the source.

Some spoilers ahead:

The Queen is young, unmarried, a war hero, needs heirs but might not mind if they are bastards. During the the war against Sembia and shade she redistributed wealth from nobles unwilling to fight and gave to commoners willing to. Her brother was king but abdicated ASAP. The Queen is pragmatic and puts Cormyr before all. You do NOT want to suggest that she is unfit to rule.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app
I have the book(s) on my 'to read' pile and plan on getting to them right after I finish The Expanse. I'm planning a sandbox campaign set in Cormyr and we're starting very soon.

Any chance you could throw me a bone and tell me the name of the Queen? I'm not a stickler for canon, but sometimes mining canon lore is easier than making it up :D

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Any chance you could throw me a bone and tell me the name of the Queen?

Queen Raedra. Born in 1460 DR to Irvel Obarskryr (son of King Foril) and Ospra Goldfeather.

The book has a partial genealogy of the royal family of Cormyr right at the start, after the dedication, tracing the line of the crown from Azoun IV through Raedra's generation. I call it 'partial' because the families of Cormyr, based on this genealogy, appear very small, so it's likely the chart only shows the 'important' people that get the genealogy from Azoun IV to the time of the story rather than a comprehensive genealogy of all those with Obarskyr blood in Cormyr as of 1486 DR.

--
Pauper

akr71

Hero

Thanks (& [MENTION=17607]Pauper[/MENTION] too). It took some digging, but I eventually found it on the forgotten realms wikia too. Too bad the entry for Cormyr wasn't updated with the info, but free is free...

Again, I'm not a stickler for canon - I will make up or change whatever I feel I need to, but I do like having the names of political leaders and influential people at my fingertips.

Remove ads