• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) What is the vision of the high level fighter?

Chaosmancer

Legend
That's feature from an existing background, yes. They do work for free.

I wondered that, but I think this highlights a big difference. With the noble feature, I can easily explain that they are servants of the family, and so they have a salary from the noble house. Or they are like Alfred and simply incredibly loyal to the house.

But if my Guild Artisan Fighter suddenly has free labor... that doesn't make quite as much sense.

Yup, its exactly a rewrite of the Noble (knight) background's feature and the Battlesmith level 3 feature: Steel Defender. So I guess that if a 1/2 spellcaster with 2 attacks using the same stat as its spellcasting feature can have those at 3rd level, a level 15+ fighter with them should be too much.

I get that the fact that they spawn from nowhere is irritating, but since the artificer can craft a robot from nothing in 8 hours in the middle of a dungeon and a ranger can find and tame a wolf in 8 hours in any environment, I guess having the 15+ level fighter having to spend 8 hour in a specific location to gain 3 useless mooks and a pet-man can probably find some in-setting justification for them.

I get the response, but I also dislike the Ranger Companion. I tend to make it a spirit bond, so they can revive them with little effort.

I also tend to start at level 3, meaning they already had their companion.

But again, the bigger part of this is personality. There is a difference between "I befriended this random wolf and we are besties now" and "I befriended this random butler and we are besties now"

Let's move past that particular topic, shall we?

Sure. I'd much prefer to find other ways to give the Fighter more out-of-combat solutions though.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
But if my Guild Artisan Fighter suddenly has free labor... that doesn't make quite as much sense.
Such a capitalist from a different era you are :p.
Real world economics would help. Your guild artisan fighters servants work for so little compared to your effectively a nobleman's income it might as well be free do you notice 1 silver every two weeks (adjust numbers to actually fit) and the apprentice/journeyman caliber characters work for that plus training and periodically "rank out" to be replaced with a new one. Free can be might as well be free.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Seems to me the only ways to interact with the world out of combat are:

1. Magic (including magical class features)
2. Followers
3. Skills / mundane class features
4. Metagame currency

We have pretty much ruled out everything. Therefore i propose to instead make the fighter be the the best at combat.

Remove ads