What is True20?

Garnfellow

Explorer
Nomad4life said:
I really wish they would publish a stand-alone “core” True20 and then sell settings separately, though. My TT group has been working off and on with True20 Star Wars and Call of Cthulhu adaptations with mixed results. The characters and core abilities were easy to tweak and translate, but we run into trouble trying to create “modern” and “sci-fi” True20 equipment in both cases- Nobody can seem to agree on anything.

I really think a True20 System Reference Document would be a Good Thing for everyone, including Green Ronin. The True20 engine is so strong I'd love to see it widely disseminated and adopted for other games.

As far as I know Guardians of Order is the only 3rd party publisher to ever put out their own SRD. I would be curious to know if having a BESM d20 SRD has affected their sales at all. (Though I'm not sure how one would ever be able to measure this.)

On the other hand, I've been a little disapointed that other designers really haven't built on the BESM d20 point-based system.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Garnfellow said:
I really think a True20 System Reference Document would be a Good Thing for everyone, including Green Ronin. The True20 engine is so strong I'd love to see it widely disseminated and adopted for other games.
Meh. I'd rather not tell them how to run their business. If they want to offer a SRD, that's great. If they want to offer royalty-free True20 Trademark License, that's a sweet bonus. But it's up to them.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Nomad4life said:
We’re also not sure how to re-create sanity loss for CoC… It’s got to be some kind of “save” with the removal of “sanity points” but we’re still trying to figure out how this would work.
A Sanity Save would be cool. If they ever come out with the BR equivalent of the Book of Vile Darkness (the "Book of the Shadow"?), perhaps they can include optional rules for a "Sanity Save."

Offhand, I'd use the basic "damage" categories (fail, fail by 5, fail by 10, fail by 15). You could look to Black Company for conditions based on fear: shaken, frightened, panicked. Maybe 20+ could be a permanet insanity.

In both cases, it looks like we’re going to run into the whole “low levels = far too lethal” & “high levels = far too god-like” problem as well.
I've been thinking about just ditching the Toughness progression. If characters want to get tougher, they'll just buy Great Toughness Feats (up to +5).

A published core system would be a big help with all this! I would hate to see it limited to only the BRRPG... It's got so much POTENTIAL with so many other settings!
I think BR is nice enough, but yeah, there are lots of settings that True20 could work for (particularly fast-paced, pulpy styles of play). Arabian Nights would be my favorite setting. I'm researching the history and geopolitics of the Abbasid Caliphate to run a Lovecraftian Arabian adventure (Abd Al-Azrad will be a nasty, corrupt, high level adept :) ).

The perfect system IMO would be a fusion of True20 and M&M - there would be levels, points, and no classes/roles, like in M&M, but Feats and Arcana would be the only "special" powers, like in BR.

Jon

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Jonathan Moyer said:
I think BR is nice enough, but yeah, there are lots of settings that True20 could work for (particularly fast-paced, pulpy styles of play). Arabian Nights would be my favorite setting. I'm researching the history and geopolitics of the Abbasid Caliphate to run a Lovecraftian Arabian adventure (Abd Al-Azrad will be a nasty, corrupt, high level adept :) ).
All in good time. They just launched their first True20 brand product barely two months ago. ;)

Remove ads