D&D 5E What is up with the popularity of watching other D&D groups play the game?

A player in my own campaign is a long time fan of Critical Role who got into D&D because of it. She's an elementary school teacher and started listening as something to do while grading papers before becoming an enthusiastic fan.

I myself started listening to Critical Role at episode 100 of campaign 2 (relying mostly on the fan wiki and recap videos to gain an understanding of what had happened before and who the characters were). Like the player in my own game, I mostly have it playing while I'm doing something else (painting minis, usually).

I'm by no means a super fan, but I'm enjoying it more than expected. The characters interact a lot and have established interesting dynamics between them. The DM, Mercer, has also focused on building the narrative to fit the characters and what's important to them (one character is the first cleric of an archfey trickster with dreams of godhood, one is a wizard who was in training to be part of an empire's secret police until his master manipulated him into executing his own parents for treason, one is a former halfling murdered by goblins and reincarnated as one who sends money to her husband and son, etc). There's also a lot of fun messing around, such as in a recent episode where three of the female characters start wildly speculating about why their arctic wilderness guide has named his axe Sheila.

If nothing else, listening to Critical Role has inspired me to create more situations that encourage roleplay during a session whereas before I neglected it as a DM. So far it's resulted in a few fun scenes. In one the party dwarf bard (played by the teacher I mentioned earlier) and the drunk party dragonborn sorcerer got into a petty argument in the common room of their inn that escalated to the dragonborn standing up on the table and buying everyone a drink.

Concerning the Critical Role character who died that was mentioned before, the current thrust of the story is in pursuing him. He's been resurrected with an alternate personality by an apparent cult called The Eyes of Nine, which is headed to the ruins of a civilization whose rulers devoted themselves to destroying the gods.

Last edited:

I personally don’t watch CR other than a couple of ‘best of How Do You Want To Do This’ videos on YouTube, which I enjoyed. Just never got round to investing the time/ making the commitment.

I get it though, I remember when the D&D movie came out thinking I’d rather just watch an actual game played for 2 hours.

Last edited:

* I don't mind if Han Solo shooted first because I think it was legitime defense against an enemy who pointed him with a ray gun.

* Any game-live show podcast with a decent virtual tabletop?

* I don't watch sport matchs, not even when my land won the world soccer cup, neither the TV contests. I have seen some walkthrought videogame video of horror titles. But I am not interesting to watch twice the same videogame campaings.

Do you think the future will be more anything like this (motion comics)? (I would advice a good work with the subtitles for the watchers with a lower level of oral English)

Last edited:

twofalls

DM Beadle
Several reasons. Sometimes I'll watch them to see how a game that I'm not familiar with runs during actual play and to get a feel for the mechanics. Sometimes it's to watch the GM and see how he handles different situations to see if I can learn something. (I've GMed for over 30 years, but I still learn things.)

For instance, it was Critical Role that made me decide to give D&D a try again. We'd stopped using D&D back when it was 1st edition AD&D. We moved on to Rolemaster, RuneQuest, other non-fantasy games, etc. Recently I've been running Shadows of Esteren.

I'd dip my toe in every so often. A session of AD&D 2e here, a Pathfinder or D&D 4e game there, etc. Didn't like it at all. Too complex, too gamey, etc. I watched a few sessions of Critical Role...and the game didn't seem to be nearly as overly complex as my last (4e) experience. The things I'd disliked seemed to be missing.

That prompted me to pick up the 5e Players Handbook...and most of the issues I've had with D&D since 1e had been addressed. I liked what I saw. The result is that I'll be re-starting my fantasy campaign with 5e in a few weeks. Because I decided to watch someone else run a game.
This is one of the best posts I've read here. Anything that draws people back into the game is worthwhile imho. I agree with your assessment, though I didn't ever stop playing D&D, I have run games in other systems two of which you named. 5e is in my view, the very best iteration of the rules ever made.

twofalls

DM Beadle
Yeah, I’m with you there. I think part of the appeal of Critical Role is getting to feel like you’re in on those inside jokes and such, but you have to follow it for a while to get to that point.

TAZ is much better about that in my opinion, but it is audio-only (it’s a podcast) so that puts some people off of it. Also fair warning, the first few episodes are actually far worse for that. Two of the players are playing D&D for the first time and the other has only played once before, while the DM has a bit of experience with 4e but is running 5e for the first time. So the beginning can be really rough as they’re all kind of learning the game as they go. Fortunately it gets better pretty quickly, so if you can push through that rough start, you should be in good shape.
Thank you for telling me this. I turned off the first episode feeling disappointed and not wanting to say so here (didn't wish to offend). I will go give it more time.

Aldarc

Legend
There is a billion-dollar industry built around people watching other people play sports. I'm not sure why other forms of games or hobbies should be much different, even considering differences of scale and accessibility.

twofalls

DM Beadle
When the free Next playtest material started coming out, I downloaded it, convinced my wife and a couple of friends to try it out, and now have been playing 5e 2-3 times a month for 6 years and introduced over two dozen first time players to the game.
These are the responses I love to hear, how the shows are drawing people into the game. I might not find the programs personally entertaining, but anything that increases the spread of the game is fabulous.

twofalls

DM Beadle
id be curious probably another topic of those that have watched critical role and say we don't play like them and how you play the game.

I would argue they play the game better than us and any other youtuber out including the WOTC workers.

I'd also wonder for those who don't watch sports do you watch tv shows. I don't look at critical role and treat it like baseball (baseball is the new paint drying tv) I treat it like my favorite serial tv shows of the 70's/80's where they often left you in a cliff hanger in the end of the episode (Dr Who of the 60's-80's)

I haven't been in a game that hasnt been like that. If anything they can be 2 hardcore at times (spell components) . My flags, gencon local friends,college since the early 70's I haven't seen it played in any other way. the only difference is the game has evolved and theres no more random monsters in every room in a dungeon.
No, honestly I don't watch TV shows or most movies these days, I'd far rather read a book. I find most of what is on offer to be shallow and if not offensive, at least borderline boorish.
Insofar as playing "better", that is a very subjective approach. I think it speaks well of this program that you admire their game, but just about any game where a person is actually interacting ought to be better than one he is just watching. Games are by their nature social activities, but that is my take.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases