D&D 5E What is up with the popularity of watching other D&D groups play the game?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To be fair, that character had been a goblin for most of the campaign. She was recently turned (back) into a halfling by magic, so Sam (the guy playing her) was probably still adjusting to the new racial features, as he had been used to having Darkvision on that character for a long time.
That makes more sense. There were still a few other things like that, but different people have different ways of viewing the game and many just don't care that much about the rules, so they never really learn them well. That's fine for that playstyle.

twofalls

DM Beadle
To be fair, that character had been a goblin for most of the campaign. She was recently turned (back) into a halfling by magic, so Sam (the guy playing her) was probably still adjusting to the new racial features, as he had been used to having Darkvision on that character for a long time.
Okay, half a lash, just as soon as I can work out how that is done.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
They're great roleplayers and that's fun to watch, but... :)
Like other gamers, they make mistakes. It’s one of the reasons I think so many of us see aspects of ourselves and our groups in CR. They mix up abilities between their characters, they misinterpret spell descriptions, they overreact to things going on at the battle map and fail to coordinate (one of the key reasons Mollymauk died), and they do it live for everyone to see. Basically, they’re as flawed as players as the rest of us are and yet they persevere, take things in reasonably good humor, and come back for more. Their caution and coordination in taking down the group that killed Mollymauk were much better and they laid a pretty convincing smackdown.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Like other gamers, they make mistakes. It’s one of the reasons I think so many of us see aspects of ourselves and our groups in CR. They mix up abilities between their characters, they misinterpret spell descriptions, they overreact to things going on at the battle map and fail to coordinate (one of the key reasons Mollymauk died), and they do it live for everyone to see. Basically, they’re as flawed as players as the rest of us are and yet they persevere, take things in reasonably good humor, and come back for more. Their caution and coordination in taking down the group that killed Mollymauk were much better and they laid a pretty convincing smackdown.
And it's my understanding that Mercer admits to not being the best model of "Master of Rules" as a DM.

twofalls

DM Beadle
I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously, there was no actual real criticism intended by Max. It was all play.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously, there was no actual real criticism intended by Max. It was all play.
I don't think @billd91 thought I was criticizing for real. I took his post as an opportunity for him to explain some reasons for why Critical Role is as popular as it is. :)

BRayne

Adventurer
Since someone mentioned The Adventure Zone, I will say that though I haven't listened to it yet I have one friend (who I unfortunately haven't been able to play with in a game yet) who loves The Adventure Zone and dislikes Critical Role, so there's different flavors of actual play shows that appeal to different people.

For whatever reason, though, Critical Role is the only one that has gotten an officially published book from WotC, a comic series from Dark Horse, and an upcoming two season animated adaptation on Amazon Prime. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that the players are almost all voice actors with a decade or more of industry experience and high profile roles (the video game Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell, which released before Mercer's campaign became the Critical Role livestream, actually has one of the game's voice actors/future star of Critical Role making a reference to the campaign's animal companion Trinket the Bear).
In fairness The Adventure Zone isn't that far behind, what with a Graphic Novel series by First Second Books and an animated pilot by Peacock ordered.

So... I would never watch people play golf, or watch any other sport, for that matter... But in 2002, there was a show on Comedy Central called "The Sweet Spot" which featured Bill Murray and his brothers playing golf. I enjoyed the hell out of that show, because I enjoyed the personalities of the Murray brothers and their interplay as they screwed around on the golfing field.

For me, the same goes for watching role playing game shows, with the added bonus that I'm also interested in the content. Many of the people who play in popular online role playing game shows have interesting and engaging personalities, and the interplay between them is interesting and engaging.

On another note, I also sometimes watch people play video games, mostly for the same reasons as I watched "The Sweet Spot" and role playing game shows, but also for another reason. When I am playing a video game, I am rarely motivated to pay attention to the game's story. I play those types of games for the opportunity to eff stuff up. So if it looks like a game might have an interesting story, I will watch someone's playthrough of it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Since someone mentioned The Adventure Zone, I will say that though I haven't listened to it yet I have one friend (who I unfortunately haven't been able to play with in a game yet) who loves The Adventure Zone and dislikes Critical Role, so there's different flavors of actual play shows that appeal to different people.

For whatever reason, though, Critical Role is the only one that has gotten an officially published book from WotC, a comic series from Dark Horse, and an upcoming two season animated adaptation on Amazon Prime. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that the players are almost all voice actors with a decade or more of industry experience and high profile roles (the video game Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell, which released before Mercer's campaign became the Critical Role livestream, actually has one of the game's voice actors/future star of Critical Role making a reference to the campaign's animal companion Trinket the Bear).
You say that like the McElroys aren’t all experienced voice actors, radio personalities, and some of the most successful podcasters in the world...

Remove ads